So I started this project probably over a month ago so I will need to fill you all in on what's been going on. Instead of doing it as one massive dump I will make different posts like a normal journal would and just go on from there.
So a few months ago I went on my first ant hunting trip. Took a drive down to the Joshua Tree national park in Southern California after some heavy rains, where the Acromyrmex Versicolor were having their nuptial flights en masse early that morning. I met up with two guys I met from the Formiculture forums (one of them is a nearby GAN farmer) and my son. Well I caught one queen and the guys wanted to go somewhere else, because one of them already had too many Acro Queens and the other wants nothing to do with leaf cutters(they are pretty difficult to raise). But after hours of not getting much else other places I drove back with my son and grabbed two other Queens I saw foraging in hopes they would at least lay brood and I could buy fungus for them later
After a week, two of the Queens died and all that remained was my very first Queen, no brood no fungus. But luckily for me the GAN farmer in my city sold me three more Queens and two pea size balls of fungus for 30$.
The Three Queens
Well that is it for first post, more on the way so stay tuned