exporting to america

Posts relating to advice and tips on how to send Leaf Cutters to other people via postage, couriers, freight or hand carrying.
theboyw
Larva

exporting to america

Post by theboyw » Thu May 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Am I right in thinking it is illegal to export leaf cutting ants to America?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: exporting to america

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Yes, you will get asked to send ants to US all of the time, and also China. But it is illegal and you shouldnt do it!

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Fri May 06, 2016 8:22 am

I wont be doing any thing illegal that's for sure. cant understand why people will ask you to do something when they know damn well its illegal.

Ieatflys
Larva

Post by Ieatflys » Fri May 27, 2016 4:02 pm

It would be due to the fact that you cant legally do it at all even if i were to attempt to get papers to do so it would be denied as they will only allow them for public displays and research :mrgreen: ... ive wanted a colony for 10 or so years for now. Learned it was illegal and said oh well and ten years later i still want them so am i to go my intire life wanting to do somthijg so silly as keep an ant colony and never due it due to the fact that my country will not allow it for no reason? I live where is gets down to -20degrees regularely during the winter why would there be laws against shipping a queen in a container that can not be broken??thats just my two cents what would you do if you werent legally sllowed to own them in your country ither?? Abandon the hobby and stare at pictures of them for the rest of your life? Not trying to give sny offence judt trying to provide snother point of view.... no one likes breaking the law

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon May 30, 2016 5:24 pm

I understand your frustration. I think it would be a more sensible approach to selectively allow tropical species to be kept in states where the weather is the barrier to them being present naturally. The distribution of a species is based on barriers. The sea is a barrier to many species populating a new environment. Mountains have effectively meant that Chile is the only south american country that does not have Leaf Cutters present even although their weather in much of the country is perfect for them. Another barrier is temperature. Having an authority that is sensible and aware of these factors when determining what is acceptable and what should be enforced is essential in creating a fair system. A simple, senseless 'no' does not engender faith when there is no reason to enforce this position. Again just my opinion.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 pm

The following extracts were taken from Randy Morgans paper, Natural History Notes, Captive Management, Atta, 2001.

Agricultural Regulations: The United States Department of Agriculture, Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service, Plant Protection & Quarantine (USDA-APHIS-PPQ) mandates that a Nonindigenous Species’ Permit must submitted and approved before non-native plant pests can be legally imported or moved across state lines. For example, a permit would be required for keeping any of the tropical Atta species, or for A texana if moved or held outside the areas of Texas or Louisiana where it occurs naturally.

USDA-APHIS-PPQ Non-indigenous Species Permits typically specify a number of conditions.
For example, institutions must draft Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), file these with the USDA, and are subject to periodic inspections to ensure compliance. All employees working with the permitted species must be properly trained and understand the importance of effective containment.

Specific conditions for leaf cutting ants state that public displays or other colony containment must be constructed from durable materials and prevent the escape of even the smallest workers. Queens must be maintained in designated nest chambers with physical excluders that prevent their movement but not that of the workers.

The permitting process has changed in recent years and is now predominantly an electronic format. A single person, typically an institutional representative, must be designated as the permit holder and pass a low-level security clearance. Additional details on USDA permit applications are on their website (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/ ... ndex.shtml).

Wildlife Regulations: All wildlife imported into the United States is subject to inspection by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to ensure compliance with international treaties and protection of endangered species. Depending on the country of origin, an Export Permit may also be required by the Fish & Wildlife Service. For more information see their website (http://www.fws.gov/).

I suggest what you do is contact a university with a zoology department. Let them know you are interested in carrying out research on Leaf Cutters. Once you have made contact then apply for a permit and use your connection to the University to facilitate this. I am keen to find some way to facilitate a way to work in the US, the education and research route is the obvious one.

Ieatflys
Larva

Post by Ieatflys » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 am

sorry i did not see your reply... i agree with you strongly about limiting but allowing shipping to certain areas... as for the permit i have tried repetitively and nothing ever comes of it due to the fact that they want an ant room with air lock and individual climate control and even if i had that set up im not a university or zoo so they see no need for me to own a colony.... this country is great and also f***ed up in so many ways its annoying... you wouldn't believe the confrontations i come across while trying to operate my fpv quad rotor in my very back yard or public park... and im registered.... so unfortunately if my government is going to be uncooperative i may half to be the same :twisted: . anyhow i hope you all have a good day keep it leafy!

Ieatflys
Larva

Post by Ieatflys » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 am

A momentary update as i happen to come across this thread.... i have attempted to obtain import papers. You also must provide laboritory info auch as photos of windows air vents door sweeps covered electrical outlets and every nook and crany ants couod get out from you then have to get a container approved to keep them in wich is generally a sealed container inside of another cotainer inside of a laboritory with a substance called tangle legs around the base of the outermost container!!! I have come across a couple of personal collectors online who have managed to obtain this permit however would it seems to do more than anything is subject you to random inspections and a higher possibility of getting in trouble trying to follow the rules rather than not trying to follow the rules at all!!! I am currently in St Louis visiting family and this is a place that I plan to move back to however today I decided to visit the local Butterfly House who used to have an acromyrmex octopensis colony in which has long since passed supposedly however they have a little viewing area to peer into their Laboratory that they do a lot of their insect work in. And let me tell you I took lots of photos. Through that window because there were a lot of electrical outlets not covered there were a lot of ways for bugs come in and out of the room and what not and they had some very non-native invasive species in there as opposed to a leafcutter ant that would never survive in our climate!!! I plan to attend the St Louis Zoo tomorrow afternoon to see there atta cephalotes colony that i believe you may have dont work with!!! I have not seen it in a few years and while their laboratory is much better setup and Rule following than most there are still many flaws that I always spot whenever I go to visit however I know good and well that if I have a personal colony and have inspections I will get in deep trouble for not following very miniscule rules in which these larger companies are able to Simply overlook. If I was to get approved I would have to get rear proved whenever I decide to move so I have decided that later on in my life I will for sure obtain legal requirements to have a colony however for now that is just not a possibility with a move being in my near future and another one a few years down the road once I start to settle however I do plan to build a laboratory that I may be able to break down and bring with me when I move we shall see how that goes. I guess at this point it is pretty clear to everybody that I am very serious about keeping these Leaf Cutters as I have been after it for many years much longer than I have been on this forum so I suppose here in a few years you will see some post for me about my laboratory however in the meantime I may take other routes.

Enjoy
ieatflys