koln Zoo, Germany

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Deansie26
Major

koln Zoo, Germany

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:38 pm

This morning I received a message on my facebook page from a nice guy in Germany called, Detlef. It's of him infront of a huge Atta colony in Koln Zoo, Germany. It's quite an unusual set up and very interesting. He also send me a video and said it was ok for me to share them.

RichardP
Worker

Re: koln Zoo, Germany

Post by RichardP » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:19 pm

That is fungus heaven!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Jamie, thats epic. Heres a theory, I am convinced this is correct. I think the size of a fungus garden, its maximum size, is determined by its weight. There will come a point where the weight of the fungus will crush the lower part of the garden. I think the fungus gardens in this setup are as big as it is possible to go. Any bigger and they would fall to pieces. That is a spectacular setup. So well fed. I think there is another public display thread showing a similar setup here where the fungus is in a large tank. Thats one way to see everything thats going on in the nest! Slightly bigger than one of Seans pods. (Do I need to get permission from him to use that word?)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Yeh he will be after royalties :)
Your theory sound good, I've seen gardens as big a few times but noting I'd say was bigger.
Maybe the ants alter the architecture to accommodate the weight? I doubt it but you never know with these ants do you.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:37 pm

deansie26 wrote:Yeh he will be after royalties :)
Your theory sound good, I've seen gardens as big a few times but noting I'd say was bigger.
Maybe the ants alter the architecture to accommodate the weight? I doubt it but you never know with these ants do you.
I think its just that the fungus is not capable of supporting any weight. Interesting to see how that colony develops. I take it you asked the guy to join?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:
deansie26 wrote:Yeh he will be after royalties :)
I think its just that the fungus is not capable of supporting any weight. Interesting to see how that colony develops. I take it you asked the guy to join?
Yeh I sent him the kink to this thread too :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 pm

deansie26 wrote: Yeh I sent him the kink to this tread too :)
Yes, Jamie, about that. We will never get any new members if you are using words like 'kink'! I for one would delete my membership of this forum if you try anything inappropriate with me any time we meet. Just keep your distance.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 pm

Ha ha, you would miss my special deansie words if I started using an actual keyboard.
Have you never sent the kink like? :lol:

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:53 am

Mm mm kinky fungus set up, fifty shades of fungus :lol: someone say Pod? Lol

earthtiger
Larva

Post by earthtiger » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:20 am

BTW, in 2018 the colony raised males and queens. ...but and breeding attempt by Detlef didn't work.

This year, the colony almost colapsed. First they thought the queen has die - the colony is about 15 years old - but is was probably due to the heat in this summer. Currently the colony is recovering.