Rays Over Engineered Atta Colony

Let everyone see the story of your colony(ies) over time. Pictures, developments, success and failures, what works / what doesn't, and your plans for expansion as time goes by!
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Rays Over Engineered Atta Colony

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Ray, sorry for being absent. Been very busy. Hows the colony doing. Looks like you are holding the fort here. Will try to spend time helping! Have you any up to date pics?

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Ray, sorry for being absent. Been very busy. Hows the colony doing. Looks like you are holding the fort here. Will try to spend time helping! Have you any up to date pics?
Thats alright, I know you're busy. They're looking pretty good, the fungus is a nice colour and they're cutting like crazy. I can see some eggs and larvae which is nice. My only concern is that although I can see obvious growth it doesn't seem to be a lot. Maybe I'm just impatient haha. I attached some photos from this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am

Ray, growth is usually steady at this stage, once you’re past 6 months, growth becomes a lot quicker!!

Your title of the journal is interesting, after 12 months you’ll be removing “over engineered” from the title.

Looking good so far.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Leafcutter wrote:Ray, growth is usually steady at this stage, once you’re past 6 months, growth becomes a lot quicker!!

Your title of the journal is interesting, after 12 months you’ll be removing “over engineered” from the title.

Looking good so far.
Thanks for the reassurance. I find it fascinating how much it changes on a daily basis. A few days ago there was a huge crater in the fungus that was filled with brood (Pics attached) and today that crater is nearly sealed up.

I couldn't think of a funny name and just thought of how much time/money I spend building it for such a little colony when a tub would probably have been fine. If its no longer over engineered in 12 months I'll be very happy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 pm

It looks great. Are you providing leaves close to the fungus or in the side basin you constructed?

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Docxx
Site Admin

Post by Docxx » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Leafcutter wrote:It looks great. Are you providing leaves close to the fungus or in the side basin you constructed?
I do both, I usually grab too many leaves so I put a couple right next to their garden and then dump the rest in the feeding area. They take from both equally. They also use the dumping area for their dead, not for other waste yet though, just the dead.