heater & pump advice please

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
acro-attaman
Larva

heater & pump advice please

Post by acro-attaman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi.
I am having a basic setup from Andrew and will be following the advice on the forum to avoid escapes. Can anyone advise on best heater and pump to buy - make and size if you can. Just want to get this as near perfect as possible and any help / advice appreciated.
Thanks

Deansie26
Major

Re: heater & pump advice please

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi, you will be very happy with the tank, this power head is perfect-tunze mini here is a link to one

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNZE-PUMP-MINI ... 0408.m2460

Any 100watt aquarium heater will be mire than adequate, best get a reputable brand if you can. Eheim Jagger is what I use.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks. I have ordered:
TUNZE PUMP MINI NANO
EHEIM JAGER 100W HEATER
LUCKY REPTILE THERMOMETER HYGROMETER
Does that sound ok and is there anything else I need?
Thanks for the advice.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:41 pm

acro-attaman wrote:Thanks. I have ordered:
TUNZE PUMP MINI NANO
EHEIM JAGER 100W HEATER
LUCKY REPTILE THERMOMETER HYGROMETER
Does that sound ok and is there anything else I need?
Thanks for the advice.
Yeh that sounds spot on. I personally wouldn't fill the top reservoir with water till your colony gets big. It will end up just needing cleaned with water sitting in it. When you do think the colony needs it I'd used olive oil, you only need a centimeter and it won't go slimy like stagnant water.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi
Tank and colony due to arrive any minute, unfortunately, I seem to have got the wrong aquarium heater, as it has a minimum water line which is way higher than the water level is going to be, so I am currently looking at alternatives to go and get in the morning (will keep the ants snug overnight Andrew I promise)! Does anyone know what temperature I will need to keep the water at in the 'basic setup tank' to create the correct humidity for my ants? I can then look at fully submersible heaters too.
Thanks.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:28 pm

What type of heater did you get? All aquarium heaters have to be fully submerged. You are attaching it to the bottom and not the side? Had to ask ;)

Once your heater is in set it to 30 degrees and take the temperature inside the tank, (of thel air, not the water) check it over a number of hours. Try take the measurement from the centre of the tank if you can.
If the temperature is right you won't need to worry about ambient humidity as it will be high from the heated water.

You must be excited to get them

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks for replying so quickly.
I bought the EHEIM JAGER 100W HEATER (https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/te ... ntrol-100W). The electric cable comes out of one end where the controls are and also where the minimum waterlevel line is - it really looks as if the heater should be vertical not horizontal & the instruction leaflet shows it in the vertical position. I'm hoping that I can find a fully submersible, horizontal heater now at Ripples, otherwise argh!
We collected the ants and tank last night & got home at about 11pm, so they are in a temporary tank now, still in their travelling containers.
More info to follow....

Re: basic set up - There are the 2 tables, plus the 'nest' box. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the nest box sit on top of one of the tables or does it bridge the 2 tables?

Thanks

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:36 am

Morning, that heater is a good one and is totally fine lying on the bottom of the tank with it's suction cups, is the exact one I use.
http://s360.photobucket.com/user/deansi ... 3.jpg.html

One platform you sit the glass cube on that houses the soil and ants, bridge these platforms with a stick or anything you like really. Where are you going to keep the tank?
Ask away with any questions!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 am

Pics of the ants would be great :) :P
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks. Just back from the shop.

Have bought a 50w heater, same make (the chap rang Eheim & for size of tank, this is what they recommended - kept 100w too, for later use). You are quite right, it is a fully submersible heater, I was just scared of frying my ants!

About to add the water, then get on with heating it, ready to add my ants. A bit concerned as my fungi looks to be turning a bit orange, so need to get it moved asap I think.

Bought a banana plant too, ready for their first feed. Taking photos as I go, which I will turn into a journal and upload once I am happy that my ants are settled.

Thanks for all the help so far - no doubt more will be needed!