Aquarium set up

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Graeme
Larva

Aquarium set up

Post by Graeme » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Does anyone else have an aquarium set up with Acros?

My lot have no burried themsleves and have hidden the fungs, so I have no idea how its doing or if there are any signs of brood etc!

Im not going to dig it out to find out as that can only be bad...however there are signs of foraging and collecting especially for liquid nectar and sweet stuff.

Just wondered at what point I will know the good or bad news?

Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Aquarium set up

Post by Andyj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Graeme, i would be tempted to just have a little dig around, or even remove some of the soil around the fungus so they can't cover it. i wouldn't be able to help my self in that situation, although i would know it would be best to just leave it.

I think providing them with a constant sweet source of food isn't really a good idea as i think it's classed as an alpha food, so whilst they are consuming that, they are not culturing their fungus as they should be. I have noticed that if i give my Acros honey water in a lid they prefer to consume this rather than cut leaves. In my case there are more ants drinking then there are cutting. Perhaps ok with a larger colony but a young colony should spend their time cutting leaves and securing their future.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Graeme, did you ever have a look around for the fungus?

Graeme
Larva

Post by Graeme » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 pm

No, but i might be tempted due to the lack of avtivity...dont wont to make things worse though lol

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Check out my other answer and have a dig!