My acro got out in the hot weather

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
acro-attaman
Larva

My acro got out in the hot weather

Post by acro-attaman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi
Thought I'd share with you what my fully grown acromyrmex octospinosus colony has been up to in this hot english weather. This afternoon they staged an escape from their set up. They live in an insulated shed and their set up consists of several tanks joined together by ropes and tubes, all set in trays of water, to avoid escapes, but today because of the heat the door was open all day. When I went to check on them I saw a lot of ants on the table, up the wall and through the door. I followed the trail and saw them going into the bushes. They must have only been out for about an hour at most as there were only about 100 ants out, but on the lid where I found they were getting out, there was a whole load more heading for escape, if I'd left it 'til a couple of hours later, the garden would have been attacked with thousands.
I thought it was pretty funny at first but they were already taking plant leaves and my mum didnt like it at all.
My dream is to have the nest in the shed but on hot days, they go outside into a greenhouse and strip plants I put in there for them but I'd probably want atta for that so it looks more impressive.

Occultus
Larva

Re: My acro got out in the hot weather

Post by Occultus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:06 am

A greenhouse just for your Acromyrmex to cut leaves would be quite the sight. Any plans to setup a small greenhouse forage ground this summer?
You'll definitely enjoy keeping Atta. Just don't let your mum find them foraging on her garden flowers :lol: