Laboratory Setup v's Natural Setup

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Laboratory Setup v's Natural Setup

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:00 pm

So the question here is this. Do you prefer to set up a colony of Leaf Cutters in a display which you are trying to create as natural an environment as possible for the ants, sometimes at the expense of things like visual access to the fungus etc, or do you prefer to put the ants in an environment where it is entirely artificial and you would normally expect to see everything and everywhere within the colony?
Basically a natural setup with soil where they dig their own nest, set up their tunnels to promote correct air conditioning etc. An artificial set up is one where there would normally be no soil, the ants maintained in clear plastic boxes connected with tubes.
Interested to hear your thoughts.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Laboratory Setup v's Natural Setup

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 pm

I think they have there pros and cons like you said. Being able to see the fungus garden is something I would miss to much now. When I got my first colony of you- I'd be up in the room where they where all the time (annoyingly to my wife) and be lucky if I seen 4 or 5 ants taking a few leafs back and that seemed to last ages lol.

Now my colony is small again but I can see right through the lid as I used a clear box, I can watch what there up to like the fungus being tended to and changing shape and also sometimes see the queen.
I think the natural setup is best to start with without a doubt till you build up your confidence.

Id love a heated ant room in my house but that's not likely to happen any time soon!

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:59 am

Clinical all the way! Image

The design above that I ripped off the net appeals to me greatly, most of my ants are Leafcutters or harvester and I like the idea of them mixed up in various setups like this! It's uniform but also diverse and allows for easier viewing, covering, maintenance and allows for extensions to be added without more clutter. Having two species completely different side by side is quite dramatic, you've got the Atta run one way with leaves and the Messor running the other direction in a different but identical setup with their various seeds. You've got a chewing group in one unit, fungus in another. You get the idea, I'm ranting again lol :)

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Nice set up there I've watch ex the video of them I can't wait for my new set up tho wish Thursday would come soon hahaa

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

I really like having a setup where I can see the fungus grow. But equally you wouldn't want that at the expense of the welfare of the abts.

I think the trick is to achieve both welfare and maximum visual impact.

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:29 pm

I prefer being able to see all thats going on also for 2 reasons, reason 1, because i love watching all my species of ants at work going about there daily business. Reason 2 because if something does go south with my colony being able to see whats going on could be the difference between life and death, i have worries at the moment with my polyrhachis dives they are in a natural setup and i can only ever see them foraging, i could quite easily be missing something important going on in the nest and i wont know until its to late.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm a natural man myself. The best place to see Leaf Cutters is in the tropics. There you do not see under ground, its all about them when they are foraging. So I think, to recreate this in captivity, I like to see a natural nest entrance and a stream of ants issuing from it heading off to their food source.