Maintaining Humidity in the Fungus Chamber

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Maintaining Humidity in the Fungus Chamber

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Keeping things at the requisite 90+% can sometimes be a challenge. I would be interested in everyones ideas about how this is done in different set ups. The laboratory technique of pouring plaster is the standard accepted model but I dont think I have seen any colonies using this technique here.

Atta solider
Worker

Re: Maintaining Humidity in the Fungus Chamber

Post by Atta solider » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:37 pm

I get mine to 90% but then goes back to 85/80% :( it's hard keeping off that I spray with warm water on the soil around the fungus

Deansie26
Major

Re: Maintaining Humidity in the Fungus Chamber

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:15 pm

I never used plaster in the plastic boxes but once its full of fungus and only ventilation from the entrance the humidity stayed high, not that I measured it but when I opened the front door the box misted so was full of airborne moisture.
I was conscious about pooling water when I built it but I never encountered a problem with it. I see a lot of set ups and they look dipping wet with water which I don't think the ants like.

In my simple moat set up at the minute the substrate in the fungus box looks dry if Im honest but the ants are happy and the humidity must be easy 100%
Humidity is a tricky thing as if substrate is dry you can easily think that equals low humidity.

If all your surfaces are the same temperature water shouldn't condense anywhere if its warm enough to evaporate.