How big is my colony?

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
acro-attaman
Larva

How big is my colony?

Post by acro-attaman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi sorry for not posting for a while, I was just intrested to know if someone could estimate if my acro colony is mature or not. I bought the colony from Andrew just over a year ago when it had at least 3 queens (I saw 1 with wings 2 without) and 100 workers. Now the colony has winged females as well. If you want to see my colony now go on my youtube (acro atta man) this might make it easier to tell.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: How big is my colony?

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi, if your colony has produced winged sexuals then it is mature. Thats real progress in a year!! I would be interested to hear your regime for feeding, conditions etc. How much do you feed and how often. Do you vary the plants daily of feed the same.

acro-attaman
Larva

Post by acro-attaman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Andrew. I feed every day at least once, if not twice or even more, depending on what is available - mainly feed bramble, privet and variegated laurel but come the summer this expands to anything scented and colourful (daffodil heads were a real hit last spring too). I haven't tested the conditions in the nest for a while but the surrounding temperature within the (insulated) shed is a constant 28-30C, I also have a reservoir in one of the chambers which keeps things nice and humid.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:43 pm

acro-attaman wrote:Hi Andrew. I feed every day at least once, if not twice or even more, depending on what is available - mainly feed bramble, privet and variegated laurel but come the summer this expands to anything scented and colourful (daffodil heads were a real hit last spring too). I haven't tested the conditions in the nest for a while but the surrounding temperature within the (insulated) shed is a constant 28-30C, I also have a reservoir in one of the chambers which keeps things nice and humid.
Would think 28-30 is a little on the high side. It would be better at a little lower, around 24-26C maybe?