If we could have a similar design to this.......

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

If we could have a similar design to this.......

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:43 pm

I was looking around online for something more suitable for public displays to give inspiration and came across this, sold for other species of ant. Seeing this I think a scaled up, more commercial looking version of this would be very close to the ideal public display model of a leaf cutting ant exhibit. Full visual access, easy environmental control and exciting possibilities regarding versatility and adaptability, this would tick all the boxes!

Sounds like a development project!

Deansie26
Major

Re: If we could have a similar design to this.......

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Am pretty sure that's what Marco had his first Acromyrmex colony in. I bet it would work pretty good in a tropical house or similar where the temp is high 24/7 Would certainly be an eye catcher.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:39 pm

I saw this on an advert once, a bigger version of it on display would definitely look fantastic!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Bitterlime wrote:I saw this on an advert once, a bigger version of it on display would definitely look fantastic!
Imagine one with around 30 spheres all connected. Or.... an exhibit where the sheres were connected in such a way that the visitors could walk through it and feel like they are inside the nest. You know the more I think of this the more I think this could be spectacular. Next job I get asked to design.......

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Yes!! That would look awesome, and it would be even better if people were able to walk though it, great idea!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I kept my first Acromrymex colony in this, I really like the designs of them and think they would look awesome full of fungus!
I think if you could get the conditions perfect In something similar (without the red colour..) it would look very cool!
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:58 am

I bought one a few years ago to see if it was useful or worth modifying! Took it out the box and promptly put it back in! Concept is great, the product however wouldn't stand up to a leaf cutter colony! If anyone's interested in the boxed one i have make me an offer! It's never been used! :)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Britishants.com wrote:I bought one a few years ago to see if it was useful or worth modifying! Took it out the box and promptly put it back in! Concept is great, the product however wouldn't stand up to a leaf cutter colony! If anyone's interested in the boxed one i have make me an offer! It's never been used! :)
£4?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 pm

£3,,Marco wins :)

I hate these sort of things just looks awful but perhaps something more substantial and built into a glass tank may look quite effective as a public display.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:03 pm

My bid is £1!
I completely agree, these things look rubbish!
But the idea has great potential. Could be very space age if enough money is spent on it. Several thousand pounds is not a big expenditure for large institutions but would allow this concept to be made using large, high quality components. I will certainly propose this design to the next suitable client and keep you posted with any positive outcome and build.