Who would be willing to donate fungus for a project?

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Turder
Egg

Who would be willing to donate fungus for a project?

Post by Turder » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:02 am

The subject line is my go-to ice breaker at parties :lol: .

Just wanted to put some feelers out to start. I've been sharing some ideas with a biologist and I'd like to collect a few different fungi from different leafcutting species. We may do RNA sequencing to identify and categorize the fungi if we get enough samples, but the first experiment I want to try is to culture the fungi and start a catalog of storage-stable cultures to be used for research or for anyone who gets a queen without fungus. This has been done before, but primarily for South American ants and at a research institution level (at least that I've found).

I can probably help pay for shipping and would probably need a big piece as possible. My former Acromyrmex queen's fungus was about 0.5 cm^3 and was quickly overtaken by Aspergillus and killed within 3 days after the queen died, so it may need to be a larger sample to survive shipping.

Just wanted to see who may be willing before I start making plans and ideas :D .

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Who would be willing to donate fungus for a project?

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Two things. Firstly shipping not covered with a permit is illegal into the US. My business is based on good relations with various organisations around the world and being potentially flagged as a result of such a shipment is too much of a risk.
Also I doubt that Leaf Cutting Ant fungus has been successfully cultured without an active entourage of attendant workers because these ants are armed with an impressive array of chemical and physical tools to control all of the unwanted pathogens and associated parasitical species found on the fungus. I have found that very quickly after the removal of the ants, the fungus tends to grow all sorts of other types of mould etc. By far the best way to supplement a struggling colony is to take fungus and brood from an active conspecific and swap this into the ailing colony. However i this has been done at 'research' level I would be very interested in a reference to the published paper. These observations are very good and help develop the pool of knowledge here. Interesting post.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Who would be willing to donate fungus for a project?

Post by Formica123 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Two things. Firstly shipping not covered with a permit is illegal into the US. My business is based on good relations with various organisations around the world and being potentially flagged as a result of such a shipment is too much of a risk.
Also I doubt that Leaf Cutting Ant fungus has been successfully cultured without an active entourage of attendant workers because these ants are armed with an impressive array of chemical and physical tools to control all of the unwanted pathogens and associated parasitical species found on the fungus. I have found that very quickly after the removal of the ants, the fungus tends to grow all sorts of other types of mould etc. By far the best way to supplement a struggling colony is to take fungus and brood from an active conspecific and swap this into the ailing colony. However i this has been done at 'research' level I would be very interested in a reference to the published paper. These observations are very good and help develop the pool of knowledge here. Interesting post.
I know a Chinese guy that claimed to do it, he showed videos and pictures, no ant sbut the fungus grew a lot over a week, then detereated very badly.
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)