Fungus not getting bigger

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Formica123
Sub-Major

Fungus not getting bigger

Post by Formica123 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:15 am

Really need some ideas here, the same thing is happening to me as it did to Martin.
I've had my atta for about 2-3 weeks I believe now and the fungus hasn't gotten bigger than 2 golf balls. Conditions are constant 24-24.5 at 99% humidity, I've tested this with 3 brand new hygrometers.

They add to the fungus, and it constantly stays a nice grey colour, but it's just not growing! Also, there's been no new brood that I can see, just pupae and really big larvae. Please help! :oops:
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Fungus not getting bigger

Post by Formica123 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:22 pm

What could be going on??

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Marco I think you just need to be patient buddy, they grow quick but it's only been 2-3 weeks and they have moved to France. I'm sure if the conditions are as you say things are well, there adding to the fungus and you can see larvae etc so all seems good. Unless the tank is in total darkness your less likely to see eggs etc.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:36 am

Marco I can only tell you not to worry about not seeing eggs. You can still use that as a source of your worry despite being told otherwise and I cant stop you doing that. The fungus is not growing because you need more ants to hatch, the current workforce are probably not enough to grow the fungus but likely are enough to maintain it at its current size. The fact its grey and healthy should tell you, with your experience, that all is well. As Jamie says, patience is the key, ensure your parameters are good and wait for developments to come along.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:53 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Marco I can only tell you not to worry about not seeing eggs. You can still use that as a source of your worry despite being told otherwise and I cant stop you doing that. The fungus is not growing because you need more ants to hatch, the current workforce are probably not enough to grow the fungus but likely are enough to maintain it at its current size. The fact its grey and healthy should tell you, with your experience, that all is well. As Jamie says, patience is the key, ensure your parameters are good and wait for developments to come along.
That's good to know, I'll stop worrying as much haha.

But I have some news.

Today.

I.

Saw.

An.

EGG!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Absolute Ass.