Is the temperature my Acromyrmex versicolor at okay?

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Vendayn
Larva

Is the temperature my Acromyrmex versicolor at okay?

Post by Vendayn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:46 pm

They are at 73 degrees where they are now. I was keeping them in the garage, but I was afraid it would get too hot in there (it often goes above 90 degrees, and I read a lot of peoples journals in the past, that their fungus (and colony) often died after it hit 90 degrees or more.

Now they are in a closet where its a constant temperature of 73. Should I figure out a way to provide warmth for them or is that okay? The fungus was kinda struggling in the garage, but it looks like where it is now, its actually doing way better. Its even growing upward, which is a first. Looks a lot healthier. I'm just afraid at 73 degrees, the colony won't grow or just grow a lot slower. It seems the fungus likes it more, just not sure if the colony will still grow nicely at that temperature.

The colony almost numbers 40 workers now, so still kinda small, but growing nicely. It went from 10 workers to almost 40 in a little over a month. But, if the closet is too cold for them, I'll probably need to figure out heating. And there is no easy access to any wall outlets to the closet, which is kinda annoying apartment design.

Vendayn
Larva

Re: Is the temperature my Acromyrmex versicolor at okay?

Post by Vendayn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:50 pm

And of course I missed a thread specifically titled "Temperature", even though I looked and searched. I'm blind. :P

And looks like 20-22 Celsius is what people keep some of their colonies. Which translates to (according to Google) 71.6 in fahrenheit, so 72/73 degrees in the closet should be more than fine. Though Acromyrmex versicolor are a desert species, it should still be the same for them.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:42 pm

73 degrees! We're all done for ha ha

Vendayn
Larva

Post by Vendayn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:10 pm

I take that as that is a fine temperature for them? :P

I know humidity is most important, and humidity is definitely higher in the closet. Which probably explains why the fungus is doing so much better. The garage is pretty hot and dry. Even though the formicarium is designed with humidity in mind, it might still have been a bit too dry.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:31 pm

It's a bit low id push it up to 24 degrees if you can.
Why don't you start a journal here?? We would love to see what you are doing with them ;)

Vendayn
Larva

Post by Vendayn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Actually it is 75 (or very close to that, just a tad over 74). I was reading the thermometer wrong *doh*. Which is 24 celsius. So that should actually be okay then. 72/73 fahrenheit would be a bit too cold, but its actually a couple degrees higher.

Yeah, once the fungus starts growing more, I'll take pictures and start a journal on here. The fungus is doing way better than it was, since its been in the closet, and the colony is getting close to 40 workers now. :)

Its fun watching them cut away at plants. All day they've been cutting small pieces of celery and putting it on the fungus.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. Which country are you in?

Vendayn
Larva

Post by Vendayn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:52 pm

I live in the US, Southern California. I bought the Acromyrmex versicolor from someone locally. The species (only Leafcutter ant here) can be found here (though not very widespread), way out in the desert.