Input? A Survey of the ways in which everyone keeps LCA

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Input? A Survey of the ways in which everyone keeps LCA

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 am

I am starting work on this survey which I will send to every establishment and individual in the world who I can identify as keeping, or having kept, Leaf Cutting Ants. I would be interested in seeing if you have any ideas for questions which should be included in this. This questionnaire will be the most far reaching survey on current and past techniques currently used by everyone so it is important that it is right. What information do you think would be most useful to get feedback on and what would most help you in keeping your colonies. I will incorporate any good suggestions in the final paper to send out and post it here.

Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Input? A Survey of the ways in which everyone keeps LCA

Post by Andyj » Tue May 31, 2016 8:15 am

Something that has always troubled me is how toxic or how ants tolerate contaminates in the home ? For example, my ants are situated on our landing just outside of the bathroom where my wife makes herself beautiful 10 times a day. ( not that it shows when i wake up next to her in the morning ) :) Perfumes, shampoo, cleaning agents and tobacco fumes for the smokers amongst us, are all in the air and although she won't spray anything directly on the landing, it still smells like a puffs paradise. I suspect this probably isn't an ideal situation yet i have to my knowledge not had anything die because of this. Not sure if this is a question for a survey but i do wonder what effect this has on our Ants.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 31, 2016 6:01 pm

Andyj wrote:Something that has always troubled me is how toxic or how ants tolerate contaminates in the home ? For example, my ants are situated on our landing just outside of the bathroom where my wife makes herself beautiful 10 times a day. ( not that it shows when i wake up next to her in the morning ) :) Perfumes, shampoo, cleaning agents and tobacco fumes for the smokers amongst us, are all in the air and although she won't spray anything directly on the landing, it still smells like a puffs paradise. I suspect this probably isn't an ideal situation yet i have to my knowledge not had anything die because of this. Not sure if this is a question for a survey but i do wonder what effect this has on our Ants.
Interesting question that perhaps deserves its own thread. However if I ask serious institutes about their ants reaction to pampering women my credibility will be shot to pieces and I will get b*tch slapped every time I try to contact them and act like a serious person. If you start a thread about your wifes toilet habits it might attract input from the guys, some of them have personal issues they are dealing with, a description of what your wife gets up to on the landing might well attract their attention long enough to post!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Hmmm, ill tell her to continue as normal and air pollution can be mine and hers very own personal experiment. :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue May 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Andyj wrote:Hmmm, ill tell her to continue as normal and air pollution can be mine and hers very own personal experiment. :)
You should get yourself tested for effects from her air pollution. I think its starting to show.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Removing stale air from large soil-less set ups without fluctuating humidity levels.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:39 am

Deansie26 wrote:Removing stale air from large soil-less set ups without fluctuating humidity levels.
Nice!