New ideas challenge.

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

New ideas challenge.

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:28 pm

I am looking to create a technique which can be filmed to release as a new product. But I need some help to do this. So heres the concept. I wan to take a banana leaf, a big one, and on the reverse of this I want to write the name of a company in some substance that the ants wont be able to (or dont want to) cut through. Then it will be place, the right way up, under a time lapse camera, and off shot a walkway will be placed to a colony of atta. When the ants start to cut the banana leaf I want them to remove everything except the name of the company. This timelapse will then be formatted into a film which the corporate organisation will use in publicity etc. It should be visually stunning to see this happening, their logo emerging, as if by magic, from the activity of the ants. It could be shown on a loop in the company's head office reception or at exhibitions. So I need suggestions and possibly tests done on what chemical or substance works and stops ants cutting when applied invisibly to the reverse of the leaves. Any ideas anyone?

Deansie26
Major

Re: New ideas challenge.

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Glue a thin clear plastic template to the underside of the leaf so they cut round the template leaving the glued name?

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Erm stencil on agar on the top side. Or make photo of the leaf cut out the logo, place logo on leaf ant cut away leaf leaving logo.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Deansie26 wrote:Glue a thin clear plastic template to the underside of the leaf so they cut round the template leaving the glued name?
Problem with this is most glues I have used to try this affect the leaf on the right side. The leaf almost immediately discolours or crinkles where the glue is. Also it would need to be quite thick plastic, the ants are happy to cut through plastic and leaf at the smae time. Finally it is almost impossible to glue plastic to leaf in such a way that the ants cant cut the leaf and leave the plastic.
Andyj wrote:Erm stencil on agar on the top side. Or make photo of the leaf cut out the logo, place logo on leaf ant cut away leaf leaving logo.
Yes I looked at that. Whatever you do on the top side can be seen in the film. Also the ants are just as happy to cut from below and do regularly. Not sure the photo idea has legs. The film will show any shenanigans like that. You would be able to read logo before ants started. Its got to be invisible. I am almost sure it has to be a substance painted on the reverse which wither sets, like nail varnish, or is distasteful to the ants. Nail varnish, by the way, discolours and crinkles the leaf very quickly. Also the ants are happy to cut it into disks.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Create a template of the logo, attach then spray with urine and remove template, hopefully they will take the most desirable piss covered parts first! #Happy2Help :)

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 pm

Britishants.com wrote:Create a template of the logo, attach then spray with urine and remove template, hopefully they will take the most desirable piss covered parts first! #Happy2Help :)
Lovely... Just what I'd expect from our lot here :D.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Lol keeping it real! :P

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:24 pm

Britishants.com wrote:Create a template of the logo, attach then spray with urine and remove template, hopefully they will take the most desirable piss covered parts first! #Happy2Help :)
(LIKE) !!! :lol:
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Ive heard ants dont like cinnamon, maybe mix some cinnamon into some ptfe then paint it on.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 pm

I have saved you all the hassle m8......Your welcome ;)