New ideas challenge.

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Bitterlime
Minim

Re: New ideas challenge.

Post by Bitterlime » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:36 pm

It's a great idea! But I can't think of many materials that will stick to a leaf! You might be able to use clay, if you arrange the letters and then let the clay harden but I don't think it will stay on!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:05 am

Bitterlime wrote:It's a great idea! But I can't think of many materials that will stick to a leaf! You might be able to use clay, if you arrange the letters and then let the clay harden but I don't think it will stay on!
Thats not bad. Might give that a try.

Ruairidh
Larva

Post by Ruairidh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Sorry for digging up an old thread. This Is more of a question than a suggestion, but could you use a chemical that the ants would avoid cutting? this way you could draw the logo onto the leaf with this chemical and the ants would cut round it to avoid it. Does a chemical like this even exist?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Most of the chemicals you could use discolour the leaf very quickly, such as clove oil. Also chemicals tend to have a range associated with them. So the ants would be unlikely to cut closer than a certain distance from the chemical so you would have a rough series of letters. Thanks for digging this up, btw, still need someone to have a brainstorm about this!!