Temperature

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Leroy123
Larva

Temperature

Post by Leroy123 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Looking for a bit of advice. I can't seem to get my temperature right. I have a thermastat and then a dual gauge thermometer and hydrometer. Humidity is spot on. Sensor for the thermostat is directly on top of the glass where the heat mat is and is set to 23 degrees as the probe for the thermometer is in the middle of the soil and is at 27.8 and rising. Been checking all day and it has been sat at around 25 and then this evening has started to rise. Any ideas why this could be happening and what I can do to lower the temperature? My colony is being delivered tomorrow so now starting to panic. Sorry for the essay.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Temperature

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 am

Leroy123 wrote:Looking for a bit of advice. I can't seem to get my temperature right. I have a thermastat and then a dual gauge thermometer and hydrometer. Humidity is spot on. Sensor for the thermostat is directly on top of the glass where the heat mat is and is set to 23 degrees as the probe for the thermometer is in the middle of the soil and is at 27.8 and rising. Been checking all day and it has been sat at around 25 and then this evening has started to rise. Any ideas why this could be happening and what I can do to lower the temperature? My colony is being delivered tomorrow so now starting to panic. Sorry for the essay.
Morning Leroy, could you post a photo of your set up as it really helps us see what is going on. (build thread would be nice to!)
I know your using soil as you have said so so, where is your heat mat placed-on bottom under the glass? What type of thermostat- pulse stat?
Is the probe then in the tank at the bottom against the glass with soil then on top?

If you have it set up as I described above the your heat mat could be getting turn on at 23 degrees, warming the soil directly above then turning off. The soil above will hold the temperature far longer than the bare glass where the heat mat and probe are so the stat will turn on the heat again even though the soil above is still within range.
The colder your room gets at night the worse the problem will be.

This wouldn't have been an issue with the set up Andrew made for you as the heater had a body of water around it.

If im way of get a photo up and we'll try and get it sorted out.

Leroy123
Larva

Post by Leroy123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 am

Sorry I'm thinking everyone's a yodaJedi and can see what I'm looking at. So heat mat is under glass on cabinet, on/off mat stat sensor is inside tank tapped to bottom of glass, dual gauge therm/hydro- I have one therm sensor inside soil around half way down to monitor fungus temp and the second therm sensor above soil to monitor air temp. Thermostat is now set at 22 to sensor at bottom of soil and dual gauge sensor in soil is reading 27 but air temp is only 19. Colony is arriving tomorrow so need to get things sorted today. (Walk way and feeding table being finished this morning). Thanks in advance people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 am

Adding to what I said above, have you got a gap under the heat mat? The tank isn't sitting flat on the mat?
There with be a 1 or 2 degree fluctuation with a mat stat as they are not as accurate as a pulse stat.

Leroy123
Larva

Post by Leroy123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:37 am

Yes mate, there is a 10mm air gap between mat and bottom of glass (wouldn't fancy a crack in that :0)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:05 am

I know its obvious mate but need to cover the bases if its not mentioned in the post. I'd turn your stat down more and try achieve 24 in the middle of the soil as that allows for a gradient either side.
My stat is on at 22 degs but this equates to 24.5 degs at the gardens so I wouldn't get to hung up on what the stat is at on the dial.

Leroy123
Larva

Post by Leroy123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:23 am

Ok cheers bud, will turn it down and have a fiddle see if I can get it sorted. Cheers

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 am

Meant to ask, does your house get cold in the winter? As mine during the night can get pretty low, probably to low for an unprotected walk way. But I'm in Scotland lol.

Leroy123
Larva

Post by Leroy123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Can get cold bud, it's another thing I'm thinking. I've turned the thermostat down to get temp right in soil but then if heating is on to raise temp in air for foraging it's going to raise soil temp again. Got some right fiddling to do to get it spot on. Close eye will be kept I think.

Leroy123
Larva

Post by Leroy123 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:22 pm

One more thing, will having the aquarium lights on bother the ants above ground? Or is it best to leave them off?