New way to house leafcutting ants...

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Formica123
Sub-Major

New way to house leafcutting ants...

Post by Formica123 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 pm

I was researching the Biopod, a brilliant new design for an all in one Leaf Cutting Ant Formicarium, I mean Vivarium :lol: They designed it to purpos fit any species of animal or insect, even capable of holding water :o
It has an app with a live stream camera and temperature and humidity control - and it even allows you to select Leaf Cutting Ants as an option - so you will be able to keep the, hastle free! You can alter the temperature and humidity from the other side of the world with the app and check how the ants are doing too. A brilliant design in my opinion, for about £250
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/biop ... habitat--2#/
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Andyj
Site Admin

Re: New way to house leafcutting ants...

Post by Andyj » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 pm

But where's the fun ? i enjoy creating and designing a habitat myself and constantly fiddling with it in my buggery :) I would like to watch my stats on an app though.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Love the idea. Especially for someone like me who doesn't even know how to turn on a drill, let alone use one. But expansion may be an issue.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 pm

Expansion is easy with the ports in the extra large one, I think it would be good for public displays etc people who want the ants but don't know how to look after them

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:21 pm

looks cool and its a good idea but would work out very expensive.
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Formica123 wrote:You can alter the temperature and humidity from the other side of the world with the app and check how the ants are doing too.
I've got a question. If you are checking on the temp and humidity from the other side of the world, whos feeding them?
Personally I think its a bit silly. When you introduce remote control to an environment that is designed to house an animal you are basically automating the very thing that the hobby is all about. If you are looking for screen fed pet keeping then I think there are Japanese apps where you can look after cartoon dogs or cats and feed them / train them. Real animals require real skill and application. These gimicks are just that, arm chair, TV convenience lessening the value of the commitment to take on the responsibility of the life or lives we accept when buying the animal in the first place.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 pm

I think they would make a good nest tank, but personally I would attach much more onto them. It was just an idea :