Housing Idea?

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Deansie26
Major

Re: Housing Idea?

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 am

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Okay, I see it now. Not sure if that comes as a complete kit with the base tray. That base tray could even be used as a more elegant solution to Seans Pod system with regards to concealed heating and neat end look.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:10 pm

B&q does the trays and the tubs come in different sizes. Definitely interesting

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Looks good might have to look as I've got tray were you put water in and heat it up the tray it's what I use for seeding

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:17 am

Tried them, my very first set up! designed to steam up! neither did well in them. The Atta mimima escaped through the gaps in the sliding lid and the condensation dripped from the middle of the unit on the fungus. The sloping sides I thought would avoid this but didn't!.
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... g~original

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:47 pm

Britishants.com wrote:Tried them, my very first set up! designed to steam up! neither did well in them. The Atta mimima escaped through the gaps in the sliding lid and the condensation dripped from the middle of the unit on the fungus. The sloping sides I thought would avoid this but didn't!.
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b45 ... g~original
I think using them with no mods would be destined for disaster. You would need to drill a hole where the existing vent was and replace that with a mesh ventillator similar to your units. At that stage you would seem to have a functional working unit. But when I saw them I was thinking more of your pods. What they really need to finish them off would be a tray similar to the one sold with these which has a heat mat incorporated into the base. When your pods sat on this, nest at one end and feeding table at other, the unit would look complete and the customer would have a solution to containment and life support in one product. Until then everyone is going to use the pods in a different setup with potential mixed results or will lean heavily on you for set up advice which, for one or two is fine but for loads will become untenable.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm trialling various systems out at the moment, heat mat versus heated water, no heating versus various mediums, clay granules, compost and plaster of Paris! It's trial time here! :D