The Smell Test

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

The Smell Test

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 pm

One of the best determinants of fungal health is the smell test. When I have a load of colonies back from Central America there seems to be a direct correlation between the health of the fungus and the smell coming from the container containing the nest. This is because if the fungus is dying, or there is a build up of waste immediately near the fungus, the ants will not necessarily remove it to a safe distance but sometimes they will simply separate it from the fungus by a few cm. If the tub has been closed then the ants are forced to do this but sometimes this waste can combine with a very damp substrate and the whole tub can 'go off'. Health fungus smells amazing, like fruit or has a 'rainforesty' smell about it. When you smell a little ammonia, emergency!! This ammonia smell will kill the fungus very very quickly. When I smell this I change tubs and substrate immediately. Can't tell you how many times this rule has saved a colony, especially when there are over 100 of them and the time you have for each one is limited. Its a simple, fool proof health test.

Deansie26
Major

Re: The Smell Test

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm

I've a real urge now to going a smell what a rainforest smell is, must resist.... lol.

I has some issues with a previous set up in that waste fungus was being dumped in same area as damp soil this with poor ventilation usually equalled mites and on one occasion it grew a nice white fluffy coat over the old fungus lol, stinky stuff.

Will be sure to use the smell test in future if in doubt Andrew :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:08 pm

I do not think these are mites. I think they are something else. I will post when I have more info on this.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:31 pm

I think I remember talking to Adam about this, hopefully he will make a comment

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:01 am

I find it amazing that these things can just appear, like out if thin air!!!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm

They are present in the wild. They are natural commensals found in the nests. Its just that, in captivity, they can get to very large numbers indeed.

AdamHartScience
Larva

Post by AdamHartScience » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:54 pm

There's a very distinct 'wrong' smell about a sick colony. It goes from 'vegetable' to 'chemical' if that makes sense?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:05 pm

AdamHartScience wrote:There's a very distinct 'wrong' smell about a sick colony. It goes from 'vegetable' to 'chemical' if that makes sense?
That makes total sense (to me anyway) can you add to the mite thing Adam?

AdamHartScience
Larva

Post by AdamHartScience » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 pm

I did some research a while back on leaving waste in colonies and we found a buildup of mites. Couldn't work out if they were harmful though

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 am

I found lots of mites in the dump tank when I was cleaning it out a while back. They don't seem to have had an effect on the colony though. I checked out the animals out under a microscope and they were definitely mites. Haven't seen them again and can't think what their appearance was related to.