Whats the best set up moat or sealed tanks

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
theboyw
Larva

Whats the best set up moat or sealed tanks

Post by theboyw » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:24 am

Would really like to get peoples opinions on what they think is the most successful set up "housing" I.E a moat set up or sealed tanks acrylic cylinders and connecting tubes.
I currently keep Atta and Acromymex on a moat set and both are tried and tested and work ok the only down side I have is the condensation in the aquarium.
I really like the look of the acrylic cylinders and connecting tubes but just wondered is there any advantage in changing to this set up?
If people "members" were to have the choice what would they choose. Really looking forward to peoples opinions and will be intresting to see what members would choose having the choice of both set ups.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Whats the best set up moat or sealed tanks

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 am

Hey, cylinders/ clear box type set ups are nice because if done right you wont get the same dripping condensation and you can see the fungus which is great and intetesting.
Richard who has recently joined said he leaves the aquarium lid slightly open onntge viewing side and this minimises condensation on that panel so helps with viewing.
You can have the aquarium type set up but with far less soil than you use and possibly a glass or plastic lid that's not fully closed so you can see but the fungus won't lose humidity when feeding.
Have a quick look at my acromyrmex set up, when I open the lid I can see the fungus clear as day with no condensation, if I used a aquarium heater only this wouldn't be the case as the moisture would rise from the water the lid of the tank including the fungus box. To solve this I have a heat mat on a thermostat that sits on the lid, this is set to just the correct temp to prevent condensation

I personally think for the feeding table a moat is best be it atta or acro both will become a nightmare to feed otherwise when they get large

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:10 am

I'm biased on this question as I supply vented acrylic atta pods but having invested hundreds of pounds in glass aquariums I've now abandoned those for the uniformity of acrylic cylinders that are vented! Crystal clear view of the fungus and I'm pleased to say that as I have transferred two Acromyrmex and my largest QEII Atta colony they are all thriving better than ever! I sit my fungus on the clay balls and add water to those keeping the humidity up without steamed up views. Check out the prototype thread with videos for examples!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:11 am

I think barrier management as against sealed management is the best option fr large numbers of ants. In other words if you build a nest box that relied on having no gaps big enough for the ants to pass through then sooner or later there will be a gap. Also accessing this setup requires that a door be opened which allows escapes unless barrier methods such as ptfe liquid are used. All of the commercial setups I have seen use water in one form or another (okay all of the setups I have seen have been set up my me so thats a little biased) Humidity does not need to cause condensation. The reason it does is because the sides of your tank or cylinder are colder than the air inside. To change this all you need to do is either heat the front panel or apply moving air to it. Heating the front panel can be done by shining a light on it from outside. Doesnt matter the colour of light but that will remove all of the condensation by reconverting it into humidity. You can buy air curtains which is basically a tube, the length of your tank, with holes in it connected to a blower. To make one just get some airline or thin tubing, drill a line of 2mm holes along it and use suckers to attach it to the glass just above the water so the air holes are pointing upwards. Attach the other end to an aquarium air pump. The flow of air will clear the condensation.
My personal preference is for water barriers in big scale exhibits. Sean is sending me one of his units and I will try it out and let you all know.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:35 am

Sean how do you heat your cylinders?
Andrew will you be keeping yours in your ant room?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:38 am

No I wont. In my office. I am looking forward to seeing Seans unit. Will have some ideas when I get it.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:20 pm

I have a heat mat for emergencies, so if the temperature drops it kicks in! The gaps in the clay means it doesn't act live sand or soils and directly heat the fungus but the surrounding air. My colonies of exotics species are top shelf where it's naturally warmer.
Every shelf below equates to a 1 degree drop, Formica on shelf 3 at 22.5c. The pods are designed to be submersed to 6.5cm should you wish to heat them with a tropical fish tank heater. The weight of the clay granules and sand helps with keeping them weighted down in a fish tank should you choose.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Must be warmer where you are Sean, even in my house heat mats etc are on all day. I'm looking forward to seeing Andrews set up with it in his office, they look great and I can see myself getting some from you in the future. I'm going to get clear doors and make my cupboard shelves the equivalent of a insulated display cupboard then I'll get some,

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 pm

My house is stupidly warm, I have a coal fire and when that dies down the central heating kicks in! It was 27c in my front room last night! Lol

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 pm

Britishants.com wrote:My house is stupidly warm, I have a coal fire and when that dies down the central heating kicks in! It was 27c in my front room last night! Lol
Thats perfect training for a trip to the tropics.