Death becomes her!

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Death becomes her!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm

If you change your mind about how nice it is to see a colony alive I've got the perfect product for you.......

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:52 pm

:roll: I won't need to use that!

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Haha imagine spilling that in your ant room! :D

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:36 pm

As a matter of interest if you look carefully at the writing on the outside of that Ant Bait container it says 'Kills ants outside so they cant come inside'. What a strange logo. Its like 'kill everything whether its going to bother you or not'. We should kill all the Venemous snakes in the world incase they happen to bite someone some day and the sharks are going to have to go also.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm happy if you want to have a pop at the wasps as well while you're at it...

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Behind Leaf Cuttng Ants, I am an absolute wasp freak. I have collected many nests of wasps. They are fantastic. There are several species of hornet in the tropics, one of them is Polybia rejecta, which lives in close association with Azteca ants. This relationship is amazing. I have seen two nests, side by side. The ferocious Azteca ants build a nest hanging from the branch which can be a 100cm long and right alongside them is an equally large nest of these hornets. The ants protect the tree and attack anything that might stray into the territory including the hornets greatest enemy, army ants. The wasps attack bigger animals, ant eaters, birds etc and they also bring food from a much wider range to the tree. How amazing it is that two species like this have evolved to seek each other out and work together. A foundling queen hornet or a newly mated queen Azteca ant arriving on a tree alongside a nest of the other has such a good chance of surviving and starting the new colony because of the other which will guard and protect its neighbour. Simply amazing. I have experimented with public displays of hornets without too much success so far. Watch this space.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Behind Leaf Cuttng Ants, I am an absolute wasp freak. I have collected many nests of wasps. They are fantastic. There are several species of hornet in the tropics, one of them is Polybia rejecta, which lives in close association with Azteca ants. This relationship is amazing. I have seen two nests, side by side. The ferocious Azteca ants build a nest hanging from the branch which can be a 100cm long and right alongside them is an equally large nest of these hornets. The ants protect the tree and attack anything that might stray into the territory including the hornets greatest enemy, army ants. The wasps attack bigger animals, ant eaters, birds etc and they also bring food from a much wider range to the tree. How amazing it is that two species like this have evolved to seek each other out and work together. A foundling queen hornet or a newly mated queen Azteca ant arriving on a tree alongside a nest of the other has such a good chance of surviving and starting the new colony because of the other which will guard and protect its neighbour. Simply amazing. I have experimented with public displays of hornets without too much success so far. Watch this space.
*shudders*

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Behind Leaf Cuttng Ants, I am an absolute wasp freak. I have collected many nests of wasps. They are fantastic. There are several species of hornet in the tropics, one of them is Polybia rejecta, which lives in close association with Azteca ants. This relationship is amazing. I have seen two nests, side by side. The ferocious Azteca ants build a nest hanging from the branch which can be a 100cm long and right alongside them is an equally large nest of these hornets. The ants protect the tree and attack anything that might stray into the territory including the hornets greatest enemy, army ants. The wasps attack bigger animals, ant eaters, birds etc and they also bring food from a much wider range to the tree. How amazing it is that two species like this have evolved to seek each other out and work together. A foundling queen hornet or a newly mated queen Azteca ant arriving on a tree alongside a nest of the other has such a good chance of surviving and starting the new colony because of the other which will guard and protect its neighbour. Simply amazing. I have experimented with public displays of hornets without too much success so far. Watch this space.

A few years ago I decided to do a little experiment with a good old Yellowjackets queen.
She was founding a colony in an old chicken coop we have, and began building her nest when I found her. I talked mom into letting he keep the nest for a week, to see how it began. A week turned into 2 weeks, 2 weeks into a month until finally we all forgot about it. We went away for 2 weeks to France and when we- came back we had THOUSANDS of wasps flying round the garden to and from the nest. I put on my bee suit and so did mom and we smoked the wasps, then opened the chicken coup door to a MASSIVE nest, it must've been 4'5!!
Anyway, we -ur the smoker in and put a few layers of bin bags over the nest, then placing them in a giant container we use for transporting tropical fish and after a few days placed them in the woods. There must've been oner 200 males and new queens and 3000 workers
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Formica123 wrote:A few years ago I decided to do a little experiment with a good old Yellowjackets queen.
She was founding a colony in an old chicken coop we have, and began building her nest when I found her. I talked mom into letting he keep the nest for a week, to see how it began. A week turned into 2 weeks, 2 weeks into a month until finally we all forgot about it. We went away for 2 weeks to France and when we- came back we had THOUSANDS of wasps flying round the garden to and from the nest. I put on my bee suit and so did mom and we smoked the wasps, then opened the chicken coup door to a MASSIVE nest, it must've been 4'5!!
Anyway, we -ur the smoker in and put a few layers of bin bags over the nest, then placing them in a giant container we use for transporting tropical fish and after a few days placed them in the woods. There must've been oner 200 males and new queens and 3000 workers
*Shudders even more"

Atta solider
Worker

Post by Atta solider » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:36 pm

They are good how they make there next out of wood I've seen a queen making. Nest last year it was good see her coming and going bring back food for young but I had move it as I've got hive that I new they go attacking the hive for honey and food but I put it in my uncles allotment were help keep caterpillars down and bugs