Death becomes her!

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Bitterlime
Minim

Re: Death becomes her!

Post by Bitterlime » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Behind Leaf Cuttng Ants, I am an absolute wasp freak. I have collected many nests of wasps. They are fantastic. There are several species of hornet in the tropics, one of them is Polybia rejecta, which lives in close association with Azteca ants. This relationship is amazing. I have seen two nests, side by side. The ferocious Azteca ants build a nest hanging from the branch which can be a 100cm long and right alongside them is an equally large nest of these hornets. The ants protect the tree and attack anything that might stray into the territory including the hornets greatest enemy, army ants. The wasps attack bigger animals, ant eaters, birds etc and they also bring food from a much wider range to the tree. How amazing it is that two species like this have evolved to seek each other out and work together. A foundling queen hornet or a newly mated queen Azteca ant arriving on a tree alongside a nest of the other has such a good chance of surviving and starting the new colony because of the other which will guard and protect its neighbour. Simply amazing. I have experimented with public displays of hornets without too much success so far. Watch this space.
That's fascinating, it's amazing how a symbiotic relationship like that can work!