Colony Repair

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Colony Repair

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 pm

I was asked a while ago to go to London and fix a huge tank we had built for the St Albans Butterfly Project for their ants. This place has a large area dedicated to several colonies of Leaf Cutters and is very good. The tank had cracked and the problem was that there was a very large number (around 200000 I reckon) ants present in the tank. We had to endure a constant assault whilst we removed a panel and replaced it with a new one while the colony remained where it was. The reason I have not posted this is because the pictures were truly rubbish!! but here are the two or three I have. Again sorry about the quality, I remember I was too stressed on the day to take any more.

The tank before we started the repair.

Then we removed the back panel....

You can see the fungal gardens in the inner tank which started out as a hot water reservoir!

Another view of the tank...

Its worth noting that this tank was set up in a greenhouse which commonly got up to around 40C in the summer so we installed a very large water tank in the centre of the colony and connected it to a large aquarium cooler. It also had a heater so when the temperature dropped the heater came on and when it got too hot the chiller came on.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Colony Repair

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Really cool to see, that must have been a real nightmare, did the fungus gardens stay in place when you replaced the glass?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Colony Repair

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Had to move a lot of the fungus out of the way. The real priority was to contain the ants. With a full workforce the ants will rebuild any lost fungus in days. So we just tossed the fungus that was in the way onto the top of the soil and left the ants to repair the carnage in their own time.