Most Useful Tools when keeping LCA's

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Most Useful Tools when keeping LCA's

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:42 pm

I always have certain tools to use when working with ants.
Firstly a dessert spoon. In captivity this is the perfect tool when transplanting fungus or moving a colony. It is also very useful when looking for a queen or carefully digging into substrate in search of answers. If you want to go the whole was then dip it into Fluon so the ants cannot climb up the handle.
Fluon should be in your kit bag. Useful when you are opening up a colony to work with it. You can put the container into a bigger one and coat the larger ones sides with Fluon to prevent escapes.
Hand Sprayer. Especially for making areas where the ants are more humid but have never sprayed the fungus directly.
Peat / Compost. Always have a small bag of this present to give small spoonfuls to the ants.
Tissues for cleaning the inside of tubs holding ants. Often the Acromyrmex will stack waste up beside the fungus initially and this can go off and kill the fungus. I like to remove this and then wipe the area with a tissue. There will inevitably be attacking ants on the tissue. All you do is sit it on top of the tub for 10 minutes and then remove it.
A small paint brush. This is perfect for flicking ants off your hands or any other implement without damaging them.
Scissors or secateurs. For cutting food plants up to size.
Elastic Bands. I like to wrap them around the tub to stop the lid moving and I use them when I am moving colonies from Trinidad to here as part of the IATA regulations.
Thermometer. I use the point and press type so you can read temperature instantly and in many places quickly.
Humidity Meter. Self explanatory.
Gloves. Mainly when working with Atta. If you wear gloves for Acromyrmex you need to man up, imo. (Respect to Eloise!) There is something therapeutic having several hundred biting Acromyrmex on your hands and arms when moving a fungus garden from the ground to a tub in the wild. After so many bites it actually stops hurting.
Cant think of anything else. You might have some additions of stuff you use.