Post from an Argentinian Forum keeping Acromyrmex lundi

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
diegobsas
Egg

Re: Post from an Argentinian Forum keeping Acromyrmex lundi

Post by diegobsas » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:36 am

Hi, deansie26, nice to meet you too. The short answer: no, I don't have plans to grow a very large colony. The long answer: I now have a 2-year colony and a 1-year colony. Both are in containers similar to the 4 pots of the photos. And I now have some mino-colonies, queen and a few workers. I don't feed the large colonies daily, maybe every 2-4 days, because they would grow beyond the capacity of their containers. And I don't want them to grow indefinitely.
A good friend of mine, HL_Nano, who also posted here, he has a quite larger colony. The foraging/feeding area is a very nice glass tank of about 80x30x40cm, including a tree branch to make the ants climb for their leaves. His colony has 4 or 5 fungus farms.
Why do you ask?

Deansie26
Major

Re: Post from an Argentinian Forum keeping Acromyrmex lundi

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 am

I only asked out of curiosity, it's interesting to hear that not everyone wants a massive colony. I have seen your friend HL_Nano 's post on his colonies and they look really great. Interesting seeing how other people keep then, especially from places where they are naturally like where you are in Argentina and the likes.