Preparing tubs for ants

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Preparing tubs for ants

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Just wanted to look at putting holes in plastic tubs. Can't honestly believe I am writing about this stuff. But I have had some horror stories over the years. I once got a tiny tiny drill bit and drilled a whole series of holes in tubs in preparation for flying home from Central America. However the smallest ants in each of the 120 colonies were able to pass through these holes and escape. The box was crawling with ants when I landed. The animal reception people at the airport were very displeased. Cost time and money that was unnessesary but most of all it threatened the good will I have built up as a reliable shipper. All it takes is one of these people to say no and the chain is broken.
So now I use a needle. I heat it at the cooker in the gas and melt holes in the tubs. The ants cannot pass through these holes and so they are contained. Also the holes are neat which holes made by the tip of a knife or a sharp pointy thingy are not. You get no cracks or ragged edges and every hole is identical. Just a quite sad thing I do now after some problems in the past.

Deansie26
Major

Re: Preparing tubs for ants

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Its the silly wee things like this that trip you up, well have in my past experience of making various things. Sometimes we can get to technical in the things we do. Must be quite time consuming all the same lol.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Preparing tubs for ants

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 am

Now its a case of pouring a 1cm layer of Plaster Of Paris into the bottom of the tub. Use this plaster, the cheaper ones get dug up by the ants. Plaster holds moisture and prevents the ants from drying out.