The way I used to keep ants

Ideas, techniques, problems and issues associated with keeping Leaf Cutting Ants in Captivity
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

The way I used to keep ants

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Thought I would share with you the way I used to keep large numbers of Leaf Cutters. Actually this method was very hard to work with but it did allow up to 100 colonies to be kept in my living room!

The all glass construction had the same system as my current room, heated by water which was pumped from the bottom up to the top. The main problem was two fold. Firstly there was very little space to reach colonies and many were knocked in to the water when I was reaching past one to get to another. Secondly the condensation would build up and then drip onto the tops of the tubs and sometimes they would fill up with water. But all in all, and with a great deal of vigilance, I managed to keep ants like this for around 15 years.

Deansie26
Major

Re: The way I used to keep ants

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 pm

I remember reading your build thread for this set-up on another forum.
Bet once you built your latest design you where like "wish id done this years
ago"! Much easier to work with.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: The way I used to keep ants

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:45 am

Definitely. It was a real pain to work with, if put needed to reach a colony at the back your sleeve would catch on the front ones and knock them in to the water. Also the humidity got too much, condensation was a big problem with drips falling into the tubs.