Do leaf cutter ants need water?

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
Andyj
Site Admin

Re: Do leaf cutter ants need water?

Post by Andyj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Cotton wool = plug my ears up with, cos my wife snores and grinds her teeth at night. I tell here i used to get a better nights sleep in the army with a barrack load of blokes then i can with her.... she loves me though :)

Deansie26
Major

Re: RE: Re: Do leaf cutter ants need water?

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Andyj wrote:Cotton wool = plug my ears up with, cos my wife snores and grinds her teeth at night. I tell here i used to get a better nights sleep in the army with a barrack load of blokes then i can with her.... she loves me though :)
She must, Image

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 am

So imagine what it must be like at night in the Leaf Cutter nest with 10000 women all snoring. Thats what all the cotton wool is getting chewed for, they are all blocking up their ears so they can get some sleep!

fepeco
Larva

Re: RE: Re: Do leaf cutter ants need water?

Post by fepeco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Andyj wrote:I started using a shallow bowl with a pebble in because my ants used to drink from the water bottle used to stand cut twigs in.The pebble was for for them to climb onto should they fall. For a creature coming from the rain forest they are incredibly adept to drowning. To be honest i have never tried using a test tube with cotton wool for LCA's but i use bits of it to plug up holes which they always pull to pieces and take to the dump. Like my wife, these girls seem to have to tidy everything up..
Sorry for the late reply I was on the beach, hahah I laughed about you saying they like to drown, it's interesting how everyone keep their ants, looks like everyone have their own designs, there is no wrong or right.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 pm

ON THE BEACH!!!!! if only :) lol. Whatever works for you and your ants is the best way.. Now i'm off to turn the fire up,,it's freaking freezing here... ;)