Moisture

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
Daubz1977
Minim

Moisture

Post by Daubz1977 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:48 am

I have got my set up at around 24-25 degrees and the moisture is at 99%, the glass looks permanently misty i have wiped it off a couple of times now but it comes back within a couple of minutes, Ive been told that its nothing to worry about unless its dripping down the walls which it isnt but i was wondering if theres anyway of dropping the moisture level, i have clay balls in the base of the pod.

Thanks a lot
ants i keep:-
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Leafcutter
Minim

Re: Moisture

Post by Leafcutter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:59 am

Not a Question asked often as it's usually "how do I increase the moisture" :). Anyway, you can open one of pods I suppose, as the colony is small the ants won't all run out and let it ventilate.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:02 am

Morning, the temperature in your pods is higher than outside so the moisture in the air (humidity) goes to the coldest surface (condensation). Like your toilet window in the winter when you have a shower.
Unless your clay is soaking wet I doubt removing moisture is your issue, What is the temperature in your room? .
You will need to bring these temperatures more closely in line if you don't want condensation on the sides.

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:13 am

theroom temperature is currently at 21.5 degrees, im going to build an incubator tomorrow, will this improve this?
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:26 am

Daubz1977 wrote:theroom temperature is currently at 21.5 degrees, im going to build an incubator tomorrow, will this improve this?
That will fix it
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:21 am

Yes it should as Formica said. Your room temperature is pretty good.
If you have the heat mat try extending it past the wall of the pod if possible, this may dry up your condensation as this will heat the front face of your pods.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 am

I get this and it's not to much of a problem on the sides, I was heavy handed with the syringe few weeks ago and added to much water, I found that if i lift the lid slowly so an excess will run down the back of the unit and using a kitchen towel to daub (like that one) the inside of the lid. If this is done slowly it doesn't alarm the soldiers! my fungus is 2mm away from the lid. The pods (copyright...) hold the moisture well so you're more likely to over water than under water. keep the clay moist but not dripping!

I sound like Mary Berry or Nigella Lawson!! :roll: :D :lol:

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Sean do you still add water to the pod that had fungus basically filled? Once these are filled I'd assume they wont need manual moisture added.
In the pod that is filled are you not finding that the ants are removing the clay? Some updates would be great :}

Daubz1977
Minim

Post by Daubz1977 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:44 pm

So i have them in the incubator ive made we now have no condensation on the tank, my sensor still says my humidity is 99% is this anything to worry about?
The temperature is holding at 25°c bit high but cant get it any lower with this pulse stat, if i need to drop the temp please let me know as i have another pulse stat which i can get the temperature lower with but it will be bit of a ball ache as its being used on another colony.
Atta cephalotes
Polyrhachis dives
Camponotus cruentatus
Camponotus ligniperdus
Camponotus barbaricus
Formica cunicularia
Messor barbarus
Lasius niger

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Daubz1977 wrote:So i have them in the incubator ive made we now have no condensation on the tank, my sensor still says my humidity is 99% is this anything to worry about?
The temperature is holding at 25°c bit high but cant get it any lower with this pulse stat, if i need to drop the temp please let me know as i have another pulse stat which i can get the temperature lower with but it will be bit of a ball ache as its being used on another colony.
99% is perfect
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)