The best substrate

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: The best substrate

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Does anyone else have that experience. Formica123 is this from personal experience. Have you used this with Leaf Cutters?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Does anyone else have that experience. Formica123 is this from personal experience. Have you used this with Leaf Cutters?
I've never personally kept them in tong - but have kept many other species in it and even in a humid setup it dries i\up in a day or so
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:49 pm

This is not the feedback I get in general about them. Have you monitored this with a humidity meter.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Yes. I was using it for a myrmica tank. Dried out constantly
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Obviously I've never tried leaf cutters with ytong but I've never had a problem with other species in it, even moister loving ants like myrmica seemed to take to it well and produce a lot of brood. Perhaps you weren't using enough water Marco, if you kept them in an ant kit starter nest, I filled mine up twice a day to keep them hydrated.

As for the tank I was recieveing I had to send it back because of minor issues. But It is fantastic quality, so when British ants irons out the few bugs I highly recommend his set-up.

HL_Nano
Larva

Post by HL_Nano » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:17 am

May I comment based on my experience?

I started Acromyrmex ant colony in plaster but it's really very difficult to maintain the necessary humidity .
If the humidity is much gypsum produces a harmful fungus.

For two years I use plastic pots where I did not put any substrate and colony grows well.

Sorry for my bad english :oops:
Leonardo - HL Nano
Bs. As., Argentina

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:09 pm

HL_Nano wrote:
For two years I use plastic pots where I did not put any substrate and colony grows well.
I agree with this to a certain extent. If you live in an area where the natural humidity is high then not having any substrate is no problem. In my ant room the humidity is over 90% and I keep ants in containers with no substrate. The fungus growing on the plaster if its too wet is a good point also. Are we seeing agreement that all plaster nests are not recommended for Leaf Cutters?