The best substrate

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
Shamual
Pupa

The best substrate

Post by Shamual » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Hey guys if this is already a post then feel free to kill me on the spot.

Due to the arrival of my new tank in a few weeks I just wanted to get some info on the type of substrate that you guys use. I cant remember for certain but the British ant set-up includes sand and clay granules but I've seen set-ups with just about every substrate under the sun, I just wanted to know if there was any particular substrate that the fungus responds particularly well too?

hugs and kisses

Jack

Deansie26
Major

Re: The best substrate

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi Jack, it depends as well if you want to see them in their fungus gardens. If you use soil you won't see much fungus until it's against the side of the tub as it expands. This is one of the negative aspects of a soil set up in my opinion but the pros are that they look after themselves more. They can adjust ventilation using the soil which which is a great advantage to a new keeper. I don't know if this was the aspect of substrate choice you where after. You can always use soil and change later, nothing better than moving a big colony! Ha ha.
John innes number 9 was what Andrew first recommended to me.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Clay for Atta and soil for Acro! I offer damp ball of compost in the feeding area! Acro's love it, atta not so. :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Do you have clay in any of yours Sean? Is what they live in in Trinidad but I can't recall seeing a set up with clay. Unless you mean the granule type.

Britishants.com
Worker

Post by Britishants.com » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:05 pm

clay balls Deane! :P yes my QEII colony are in this and doing very well! the top vent is blocked and a small amount of water placed in bottom (pippet). You can break them up with a hammer but I wouldn't go too small, larger allows the air and moisture to move about a bit! :)

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:04 pm

I've seen the clay balls used by the German hobbiests, just wondered if you used another type. Where do you source yours from buddy? What ants do you prefer thus far? Atta or Acromyrmex+

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:40 pm

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I will probably go with clay granules as I would like to keep an eye on the queen. Also so I can stay up to 5 am watching them.

Im not going to try it but has anyone used a massive block of ytong or plaster and carved chambers into that and let them grow fungus in it.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Ytong is a big big no no.
Plaster is ok, I know someone in Italy (?) on Facebook with a big Acromyrmex, producing hundreds of alates, in a plaster nest.
I'll get some photos later
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Why is ytong so bad?

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:25 pm

It dries REALLY easy,it's okay for any other 'normally kept' species like myrmica, Formica etc. but for fungus I'm sure it would kill them off quickly
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)