fungus brood transplant

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
theboyw
Larva

fungus brood transplant

Post by theboyw » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:56 pm

It's been a week now since I introduced a new brood and some fungus to my queen, they have been cutting most days since the transplant unfortunately I have stil not seen the queen but they are still cutting and ive just seen an egg being carried around the fungus so i'm hoping she is still alive in there somewhere, some advive on weather the fungus is still healthy would be appreciated..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: fungus brood transplant

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:44 pm

They do not appear to have added any new leaves to the fungus although the fungus is still healthy. It is a priority for you to find the queen. You will not harm the fungus if you pick it apart to find her. You should do this and satisfy yourself you still have a viable colony. If she is there then keep offering privet and maybe apple and it should go. In any event I would break apart the fungus garden. This normally starts a lot of activity which will end in feeding and growing fungus, hopefully.
I wont get back on until tomorrow afternoon so let me know please. Thanks, Andrew

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:25 pm

I have just found her Andrew and she still looks healthy and mobile. have offered privet again and will try apple tomorrow they like orange and fresh mango but not sure what they are doing with it.

theboyw
Larva

Post by theboyw » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Cut really tiny pieces of privet and scatter them onto the garden. I mean as small pieces as you can cut, 1-2mm at most. Let them fall onto the fungus and then et me know if the ants convert them to fungus.