help with setup

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
PsyAnt
Larva

help with setup

Post by PsyAnt » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

hello there, what is the best setup for begginers and small fungus? heard of the water heated tank but risk for the queen drowning. so how is the best way to heat up a setup for leafcutters? acromyrmex.

Jackie62
Minim

Re: help with setup

Post by Jackie62 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

PsyAnt wrote:hello there, what is the best setup for begginers and small fungus? heard of the water heated tank but risk for the queen drowning. so how is the best way to heat up a setup for leafcutters? acromyrmex.
Hi, with our smaller Acro colony, we had the main nest tank inside another, similar size glass tank, then this was surrounded by heated water, the nest tank and outer nest tank were actually sitting in another main tank of water. The whole unit was heated by a heat mat underneath the set up. We had the dump tank to the side of the nest tank and used long, flat sticks to link the ants from the nest tank to the dump tank. Forage was reached by the ants travelling through tubes to outer forage tanks. We had this set-up for 15 years with no problems for the queen. You have to ensure that your colony has a good temperature with good humidity, not too warm though, 30 degrees C ambient temp can affect the laying of the queen. Also some air flow through the set up. I hope this helps to give you some ideas. :)

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Tha k you know i know what to provide to them its just the hows to do so but i have a tank with water heated to 24c a tub with a hole and coco husk in it damp, inside this tub is the original test tube(large test tube made out of glass) with a cork on the end a small hole. And they keep the fungus there its tiny as it dried out. But i managed to keep the humidity 85 now finally. Just want to make sure i add a place they can sit the fungus on and grow from there.. just a quick setup untill i make a more suitable one. What temps should the water be? As the tub is sitting a bit on the water so it heats the tub where they are. I noticed some leaves where cut so hopefully not all is lost.

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 pm

PsyAnt wrote:Tha k you know i know what to provide to them its just the hows to do so but i have a tank with water heated to 24c a tub with a hole and coco husk in it damp, inside this tub is the original test tube(large test tube made out of glass) with a cork on the end a small hole. And they keep the fungus there its tiny as it dried out. But i managed to keep the humidity 85 now finally. Just want to make sure i add a place they can sit the fungus on and grow from there.. just a quick setup untill i make a more suitable one. What temps should the water be? As the tub is sitting a bit on the water so it heats the tub where they are. I noticed some leaves where cut so hopefully not all is lost.
We keep our water here at 30 degrees C, but that is in a large area of water. Andy or Andrew or someone else will be able to help you I'm sure, or message them, good luck.

PsyAnt
Larva

Post by PsyAnt » Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Yeah it all fepends on the soze i guess thank you