Atta or Acromyrmex

Advice and help for new keepers and those starting to keep Leaf Cutting Ants for the first time.
RichardP
Worker

Re: Atta or Acromyrmex

Post by RichardP » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:47 pm

I think try and go for as large a tank as you can afford/accommodate. If you are going to have an external feeding area then you'll need to solve the problem of getting the ants out of your tank. I solved this by building a tube network that ran diagonally (about 40 degrees off horizontal) down the back of my tank (diagonal so that the ants can easily traverse it). The pipe then goes under the water (so having a good depth of water is important) a few inches and then comes back out of the water where the ants can access it. You can then pipe them anywhere outside of the tank.

You'll also need to think of some way of ensuring that you can "change" or filter the water moat. Atta certainly, I don't know about Acro, dump an awful lot of gubbin in the water. You could use an aquarium filter (more expense although I bet you could pick up a cheap one for little more than a plastic siphon tube) or use a siphon cleaning tube and just change the water from time to time.

I hope some of that helps. There are videos and pictures on my build thread that illustrate the tubing.

reevey
Pupa

Post by reevey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:01 pm

thanks for the reply I have read your Journal and am very impressed how well it has turned out so hopefully I will be able to do something close to yours I thought I would go for Acromyrmex instead of atta as I understand they have smaller colony anyone can give meinfo on this please

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:31 am

They are more suited to our hobby set ups on the most part Reevey and are great to keep.

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm struggling which species to go for too. Iv'e tried atta and i failed miserably but i went on holiday and left my 15 year old niece in charge, well you gotta blame someone :roll: . I'm swaying towards Acros' < easy to spell, but can't make my mind up. I want soldiers ....Stamps foot.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Acromyrmex are a nicer looking ant Andy in my opinion, you get less small ants foraging than Atta, you wouldn't be disappointed. Try something different! Solders are overrated, never come out and do little imo.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:00 pm

In my soul I am an Atta man but to be honest Acromyrmex are better for non commercial displays I think. If I was keeping ants I would have Atta, you cant beat them. Acromyrmex are easier to maintain and manage, as Jamie says the soldiers pretty well stay put in the nest. Acros are big and visually more impressive. Dont know really. Help!

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks guys, beta max or VHS ? yea i picked the wrong one :) Plenty of time to decide it will probably depend on what stock is about when i'm ready... :roll:

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 am

Deansie26 wrote: Solders are overrated, never come out and do little imo.
Oi,,, i was in the army :evil: :D

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:44 am

Yes, and my wife is in the army... and now she's angry with you!!

My view on At vs Ac is that Atta are better... I like the challenge associated with their potential for huge growth. I also think that there is something inexplicably cool about Atta that you just don't get with Acro.. difficult to define... I think maybe watching Planet Ant might have influenced me on that..

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:37 pm

I,m experiecing the same thoughts Richard. Perhaps i will get both.