Atta cephalotes - a new project in Naples

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Guglielmo
Egg

Atta cephalotes - a new project in Naples

Post by Guglielmo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 pm

Hello
I got an Atta cephalotes colony for a project of a huge display in the museum, which unfortunately has been delayed. Meanwhile the colony is growing in my flat and I am enjoying with the time lapse function of my phone...

RichardP
Worker

Re: Atta cephalotes - a new project in Naples

Post by RichardP » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Nice one. How big is the colony if you don't mind me asking?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 pm

That's a great time lapse! Is that just an app for your phone? Looking forward to seeing the new project. How is your Acromyrmex doing?

Guglielmo
Egg

Post by Guglielmo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks!
The Atta colony is huge! At the moment the fungus fill 4 acrylic cilinders (20 cm diameter - 20 cm height). But I will add a fifth one soon. I cannot estimate the number of ants - sorry.
The project at the museum has been delayed for two years, so I will keep this colony growing until the place to put them in is ready.
About Acromyrmex- after the many new queens born, the colony has shrunk a little. I am waiting for warmer temperatures to replace the nest, which is quite messy and dirty now. In march I will post pics of the new setup.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:46 pm

I have heard many times of instances where the colony crashes either permanently or temporarily after they produce winged sexuals in captivity. Not sure if this is mirrored in the wild or why it happens. I suspect that the energy spent by the colony producing these ants has an effect on the overall wellbeing of the nest and it can take a while for them to recover.

Guglielmo
Egg

Post by Guglielmo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am

yes, actually to my colony happened what you describes. The number of ants has decreased since the young queens' boom. Now the colony is slowly recovering and I see larvae and pupae again. At the moment many young queens are active in cutting leaves, some with wings some without

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:32 pm

You should check Jackies thread about this, cant remember where exactly it is but she had this over several months at her University. The queens will eventually die but before they do they will function as super workers.