Science Museum, Naples

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Deansie26
Major

Science Museum, Naples

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:31 pm

This display is in an Italian Science Museum, it houses a large Acromyrmex Octospinosis that is producing alates and looks large. I was chatting to person who made it and he explained how it is constructed of 2 large pieces of Ytong glued side by side with vinyl glue. Hollowed out tunnels and chambers and a glass front for viewing.
The unit is heated from below by heatmats that come on when the temp falls below 20 degrees, it's dimensions are LXHXD 130x50x10 cm. It's interesting how thin the unit is at just 10cm!
There is a new larger unit currently being constructed for the colony.

The colony is 3 years and 4 month old

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Science Museum, Naples

Post by Formica123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Ah yes I know this one, seen loads of pictures on their Facebook page, just a year ago it never even half filled that setup!
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:13 am

Jamie, front to back of 10cm, thats inpressive. Havent done one like that. Might give it a try. I have a few set ups coming up which might suit that style. I like the visual access that gives. Also interested in the temperature settings. So they are looking to guarantee the temperature at 20C only. That seems low. I suspect thats because the ambient temperature in the place they are is normally over this and the setting is just a fail safe. Otherwise a 20C temperature would not suit the fungus or the humidity.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:51 pm

I thought that also Andrew, I've asked the set ups creator if he has some time if he could come on and chat about his set up so fingers crossed he will.
Mean while below is a copy and paste of my conversation earlier today.

Q: Really appreciate the information. So if your heat mats come on at 20 degrees-is that the temperature you maintain the unit at?

A: Yes, I have a thermometer inside that measure temperature inside the nest. In summer temperature range from 25 to 29 degrees into the nest, at 28 they stop cutting, so the fungus doesn't grow, but under 28 they are active again. Luckily into the room where they are temperature never exceeded 29 degrees

Guglielmo
Egg

Post by Guglielmo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi, thanks for the pics Jamie, I couldn't add the pictures time ago when i registered to the site. Thanks for doing it. My name is Guglielmo and I made the nest in the picture for Naples' Science Museum.
For the ones interested, here there is the size of the nest - I used four y-tong blocks, each one sizing 65 cm (length), 25 cm (hight) and 10 cm (depth). The four blocks were glued with vinyl glue so to have a total surface of 130x50x10. In them i carved several rooms as you can see in the picture, put it in a glass case sizing 135x80x 15. My mistake was to leave 4 cm behind the nest, and the ants were able to dig a hole in the tong and also grow the fungus in the background, where i cannot see it... :cry:
Now the fungus is also on the top of the nest, so I need to enlarge the nest and it will be done in september, I still didn't think how to make it bigger, so any comment is more than appreciated.
I have several hundred queens but no male. Nearly one hundred queens are de-alated (without wings) and they cut leaves, work at the garden or take the garbage out

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Guglielmo wrote:Hi, thanks for the pics Jamie, I couldn't add the pictures time ago when i registered to the site. Thanks for doing it. My name is Guglielmo and I made the nest in the picture for Naples' Science Museum.
For the ones interested, here there is the size of the nest - I used four y-tong blocks, each one sizing 65 cm (length), 25 cm (hight) and 10 cm (depth). The four blocks were glued with vinyl glue so to have a total surface of 130x50x10. In them i carved several rooms as you can see in the picture, put it in a glass case sizing 135x80x 15. My mistake was to leave 4 cm behind the nest, and the ants were able to dig a hole in the tong and also grow the fungus in the background, where i cannot see it... :cry:
Now the fungus is also on the top of the nest, so I need to enlarge the nest and it will be done in september, I still didn't think how to make it bigger, so any comment is more than appreciated.
I have several hundred queens but no male. Nearly one hundred queens are de-alated (without wings) and they cut leaves, work at the garden or take the garbage out
Hi Guglielmo, nice to see you here. Your set up is great, I love how you can see so much going on! Interestingly, our colony tank temperatures go up to around 28 degrees C and we also have lots of queens and those without wings that work. We also have males and have had them on a regular basis for some time now. We had a nuptial flight two years ago and I'm anticipating another one maybe soon!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:38 am

Great to see your colony. Did you ever get the go ahead for the revamp. Last time we talked you were anticipating a new setup for the ants.

Guglielmo
Egg

Post by Guglielmo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:30 pm

As the old nest is getting dirtier and dirtier (plus ants were able to carve a hole through the ytong), I had to start a new nest project. They are two ytong blocks, each one sized 80cm x 25cm x 10 cm (thick). I hope to finish it before the opening of the museum (11 october). Then the problem will be to convince my girls to move into the new home.... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Brilliant Guglielmo, it would be great if you could get someone to film the move! Just let me know and I'll post it for you. Will be tricky I imagine ;)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:50 pm

You and Jackie are getting a lot of sexuals, do you share the same problem as Jackie losing her larger workers ?