London Zoo

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Bitterlime
Minim

London Zoo

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:25 pm

I went to the London zoo today and saw the leaf cutting ant setup, they have a nice quirky setup! Sorry the quality of the photos isn't great I only had a few minutes to take some pictures because the Zoo was closing!

Here is where the fungus is located

ImageImageImageImage

Deansie26
Major

Re: London Zoo

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:55 am

Great post Eloise! Looks an interesting set up, the head shape garden is wacky, not going for a natural look then lol.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Eloise, hi, supplied that colony to them but didnt set it up or supply the display.
Looks good, not got any plans to visit there though, they seem to be able to do it themselves.
So you were in London on holiday?

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:42 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Eloise, hi, supplied that colony to them but didnt set it up or supply the display.
Looks good, not got any plans to visit there though, they seem to be able to do it themselves.
So you were in London on holiday?
I went to London for 10 days because my parents had to work there so it was sort of a holiday! And I have recently just come back from Spain!

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:28 am

Where in spain? I've got a lot of colonies there.

Bitterlime
Minim

Post by Bitterlime » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:30 pm

I went to quite a rural bit of Spain called Otivar, it's an hour south of Granada. I stayed in a little cottage up in the mountains with my family! So I don't think I would have been able to see any of your colonies on display? There was I think a Messor barbarous colony living beside the patio and I kept feeding them seeds, which my family wasn't too pleased about!

ImageImage

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:38 am

That species is one I have actually looked at for public displays because they form an atta like foraging line back to the nest with seeds. Quite impressive in a large colony and possibly a good display.