Marwell Zoo's new colony and setup pics

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Marwell Zoo's new colony and setup pics

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:09 pm

deansie26 wrote:Where is the heat mat positioned? I thought they weren't preferred as they dry things out?
In order to supplement the heat I buried a heat mat under around 30cm of compost which is damp. So now there is a reserve of heat in the substrate. This heatmat is connected to a thermostat which will regulate it. I wanted to provide air heating as well as undersoil heating. I agree regarding heatmats if they are in direct contact or nearly in direct contact with the nest but the damp media between the mat and the nest provides wet heat which is stable and constant, an ideal situation. It also allows the ants to dig down towards it and adjust the position of future fungus gardens depending on the temperature they are looking for. This temperature gradient sets up the best management possible for the colony: the one where the colony can choose what conditions it wants to create for itself and continue to adjust temperature and humidity by moving gardens and tunnels.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:23 am

Andrew, I apologise as the word heat mat was supposed to be heat lamp! Me bad, enjoyed your reply though all the same :)
Had heat mats in the brain yesterday

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Deleted the reply because it wasnt as funny as it sounded in my head when I wrote it out.
Auto correct is a strange beast to control.

Marwellzoo
Larva

Post by Marwellzoo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:38 pm

The colony is now getting really active, particularly in the afternoon, when the ambient temperature in the Tropical House increases. They are now using the tubes to the cutting area, and activity levels markedly increase as soon as fresh browse is put in. The ants have now moved the majority of the fungus gardens to the rear of the tank, and the glass containers are almost empty. The temperature in these has stabilised at around 25 degrees. There is a slight increase in temperature towards the rear of the tank (where the fungus gardens have been moved to), due to the presence of a small ceramic heat lamp. There is a gentle warmth detectable from the heat mat, and so far we have had no issues with the substrate getting overly dry.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:06 am

Could I cheekily ask for a photo of the set up ;) Thanks.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:10 am

Can I ask big the mat is directly under the soil? I mean is it directly in contact with the moist soil?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm

deansie26 wrote:Can I ask big the mat is directly under the soil? I mean is it directly in contact with the moist soil?
Yes, we buried the mat because I was concerned that the slab of concrete underneath the whole setup was not easy to heat and would act as a chiller whatever the air temperature was. So I placed a heatmat directly on the concrete base and then filled the very large area above with soil (compost).
The soil in contact with this will be very hot, leading to a temperature gradient. This heat mat will be connected to a thermostat.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Ah right got you. Very interesting, soil warming cable might be better suited.

Marwellzoo
Larva

Post by Marwellzoo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:15 am

This week's update!
Activity levels within the nest and the browse station continue to be high, particularly as the ambient temperature in the Tropical House increases during the afternoon. We are noticing a marked increase in the amount of visitor time spent at this exhibit. Visitors are following the ants from the browse station, all the way along the tubes and back to the nest site. We are getting lots of great comments and questions about the colony.
With the Easter holidays being only a couple of weeks away, we are sure that interest in this exhibit is going to be very high!

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:56 pm

That's great news. I'll drop by myself if I'm ever down Winchester way...