Holly Bush Garden Centre

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Magic
Pupa

Holly Bush Garden Centre

Post by Magic » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:44 am

hi everyone .I saw this set up in Holly Bush Wolverhampton . I think is pretty cool and not complicated to build it at home . What do you think about it ?
looking for ideas for my set up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Holly Bush Garden Centre

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:54 pm

I supplied this colony of Acromyrmex octospinosus to Hollybush Garden Centre around 6 months ago (not the setup though). They were replacing a colony which they had kept healthy for a lot of years so they know what they are doing. This colony was sent through the post and arrived safely, the updates I have had are that it is doing well. Good to see pictures though, thanks Magic for sending them.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Nice post Magic, it is not easy to see what's going on?
Is that fluvial filter running water round the moat at the top of the tank?

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:31 pm

I have got more good quality pictures but because of the size I cannot update them. There is two tanks the smaller one with ants is inside the fish tank. I think the fluvial filter is just to keep the water crystal clean to have no problem to look at the ants.The two tanks got one back wall which is drilled ,The hole is the entrance for the ants to go to the next tank with leaves. I was thinking that's quite good idea with the water around to keep the right temperature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 pm

So it is a tank within a tank with water all round it? Id imagine that would hold the temperature really well, tricky to expand possibly. Thanks for uploading the pics Magic, is a bit different from the norm that's for sure.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:58 am

Magic, do you remember if the tank on the inside was a single piece of plastic or if it was a glass tank built from silicone. The problem with this setup is something I have come across several times. If its a silicone made tank there is a danger that the ants will start to work at the silicone over time and eventually cut through to the outside once they find a spot where there is an imperfect join. With this kind of setup I have seen this problem have disastrous consequences a couple of times where the ants cut through the silicone and the water pours in and drowns them. Unless the central tank is seamless thats a risk.

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:31 am

Yes you are right . I didn't think that way. Its all silicone built I'm afraid :(
I need to think about a solid plastic container inside if I decide to build something similar .
Should I build a big set up at the beginning or maybe I can start from smaller as i've got a 20 litres solid glass cube and when the colony grows, I wonder if I can extend it or transport the arts to a bigger one?
Would like to do it right as it would be my first set up for leaf cutters and I really don't want to mess it up .

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:37 am

If its Atta then go as big as you can at the start, you'll thank yourself for it later. Acro, 20 litres sounds great.

Magic
Pupa

Post by Magic » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:42 am

thank you for that :)
I want both , let see which one going to be the first one :)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:57 am

As custodian of an Atta colony I would definitely agree with the idea of starting off as large as you can afford...