Natural History Museum, London

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Natural History Museum, London

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

This is one of my colonies which was actually delivered to the Museum by my daughter who lives in London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-4ZGCOnog

Deansie26
Major

Re: Natural History Museum, London

Post by Deansie26 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Looks like it's doing great, how old will it be now?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Reckon that was three years ago or thereabouts. Always wanted to get a colony into Natural History Museum, seemed like the centre of the world for smart stuff like that.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Hey it looked great. I visited the museum around September last year and unfortunately the colony had died. But they said they were awaiting the arrival of a new colony.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:55 am

They havent ordered one yet. Wonder what the delay is? Must give them a phone.

Shamual
Pupa

Post by Shamual » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am

Yeah, it be nice if they received a new colony as it really completes their creepy crawlies room. (they also have a replica of a life sized termite mound which is pretty neat.)

But what they also had was the dead colony on display which was a bit weird, the fungus was very small and completely black by this point. And there weren't many dead ants. So they must have removed a large portion of the colony to give a display of what a dead colony looks like (pretty gross)

Oh and the queen was missing, but I think they have a taxidermy department so I guess that must be her final resting place. :shock:

They had a pretty good setup as well, but from what I could remember it was very warm in the room, (well above room temperature) So I don't know if the temperature was their problem, and they only had a thermometer/hydrometer in the out world, but not in the fungus chamber when I viewed it so I'm not sure how they would have checked the conditions.

Nether the less It was a fantastic setup, they managed to make it look natural, but with elements of a lab setup as well, so the fungus was visible, but It looked like they were naturally foraging.