Corporate Leaf Cutters

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Corporate Leaf Cutters

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:37 pm

We were asked to create a display for a marketing company which would be mounted on a prominent wall at their head office.
This was in Central London.
We came up with an idea which was very unusual and had never been attempted before. More importantly, if we could master the manufacture of this, there would be a completely new, Leaf Cutting Ant related market for my company. I suggested that we make a sign out of clear tubing which spelled out their logo and the ants would walk through this. In terms of association with ants, the company is saying to their customers....."Look at us, we are well organized, we are efficient, we get the job done, we deliver....." altogether a very strong corporate identity. So the pressure was on!

A few months ago we completed phase 1. The install at their head office, minus the sign. This was to allow the ants to grow and be ready for the sign when if was made.

Here are the pictures of how its looking just now, in its half finished state.

As you can see we have mounted the nest tank and the feeding tank on the wall and connected them with clear acryllic pipe. Once the ants establish a steady foraging trail along this we will install the sign at some point along the pipe.

I will post the details of the sign manufacture later.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Corporate Leaf Cutters

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Started to look at the sign the other day. Here is the first attempt at recreating their logo in clear plastic tube.

Their logo is 'Lets Go'

Here's the letters on the jig we made.....

I used a hot air gun and a lot of patience but the finished result is quite good. Now we need to mount it onto a light box so it is illuminated from behind and we are there!

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Thought this was really inivitive idea, once it's in full flow it will be a real talking point for there clients. Looks great, will the ants be able to scale the vertical parts ok? I had problems with vertical pipes when I first used acrylic.

How is the nest tank heated?
In the feeding tank I can see the moat, how do the ants get from the pipe to table with out escaping, does the pipe go under water?

Be great to see some more detailed pics of the nest tank if you get the chance, to see the reservoir etc.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:38 am

Any further updates on this?

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Interesting you dug that up. We are having some developmental issues. Client has given us all the time we need to develop this properly. Funny, we actually had interest for this in Dubai also. I will post when there is a development.

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Wow... I hadn't seen this.. it's fantastic.... Clean, and very stylish. I'll start thinking about making my tubing spell out Richard Price Accountancy... that's a lot of pipe..!!

I see you retrospectively copied my clear piping and grey joint "design" :)

Very impressed.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:40 pm

The problem with that one was that its PVC, not Acryllic. So when you shine light through it you cant see very clearly. It needs to be very clear. Acryllic is much more difficult to bend!