Micropia Museum Amsterdam

Pictures and reports of colonies on show around the world
Deansie26
Major

Micropia Museum Amsterdam

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Very interesting set up! I really like the close up viewing of the fungus garden. This may be an extension from the main colony that allows close viewing of a fungus garden, it may not be but I think its a great concept. Have the main garden under soil safe and controlled better then an "extension" if you like- for close up viewing and interaction.
The shape of the glass container would also lend itself to good venting of stale air etc.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Micropia Museum Amsterdam

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:58 pm

what a great find and a fantastic post. Where has this display been all my life. Well done Jamie. You should spend some time finding as many public displays as possible and posting them here.

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:45 pm

Acromyrmexbob wrote:what a great find and a fantastic post. Where has this display been all my life. Well done Jamie. You should spend some time finding as many public displays as possible and posting them here.
Is definitely a bit different! Let me know when you build it ;)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Whats the dish with the stones? I take it thats water and the stones are to stop them drowning. I have never offered a dish of water like that before. Wonder if I should. Anyone with any ideas?

Deansie26
Major

Post by Deansie26 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Whats the dish with the stones? I take it thats water and the stones are to stop them drowning. I have never offered a dish of water like that before. Wonder if I should. Anyone with any ideas?
When in the soil I never offered water but in the soil-less set up my Atta colony where given a dish with wetted cotton wool and they where never of it.. I don't know if it's because the condensation was more misty than dripping so less opportunity to drink?
Maybe it's to do with a clinical set up.