Sephalotes v's kephalotes

Part of our Scientific Interest area. This section is for contributions to Leaf Cutting Ants taxonomy. This may be photographs, descriptions, identification keys, discussion about species level characteristics etc.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Sephalotes v's kephalotes

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Are you a 'k' man (or woman) or an 's' man!
I know I am dumming down this section of the forum and this and the previous post are not strictly in the vain of Taxonomic Chatter but still, these things keep me awake at night! My Psychiatrist says this is why they keep locking me up! But when I was working on Planet Ant I had a moment of crisis. Prof. Adam Hart, a leading expert on Leaf Cutters, introduced himself to me and started talking about Atta 's'ephalotes. I always pronounce the cephalotes as if it is spelt kephalotes. So I was a little taken aback because I was the Atta consultant for the whole project and I was experiencing a this mental breakdown because I suddenly imagined that all these years I had been making a fool of myself by pronouncing the very thing I proported to be an expert in, wrongly! So I immediately started researching this very topic and basically came up with the conclusion that the word can be pronouced either way, starting with a k or an s. So now, when I meet people, I always make sure I say the name first and very confidently so that any silent 'Oh Sh*t' moment happens inside their head and not mine. Call it a protection mechanism to preserve my sanity. Anyways,,,,,, which one are you?

Deansie26
Major

Re: Sephalotes v's kephalotes

Post by Deansie26 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Ha ha that's funny, can't just see that moment being played out in your mind while filming.
Well I'm a s man, might as well stay that way if it's not incorrect. Though may be a leafcutting ant man in here! he he.

PS.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:18 am

Thought we had a more involved discussion about this, was that on the old forum and not brought across or did I imagine it. Would be interested in your updated thoughts on this.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:21 am

It was on the the old forum, sephalothes now
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Leafcutter
Minim

Post by Leafcutter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Keph-a-lot-ess is apparently how it is supposed to sound like.

Atta cephalotes (2019)
Camponotus detritus (2018)
Camponotus maculatus (2018)

RichardP
Worker

Post by RichardP » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I've been saying it with an "s" sound... If you say it with a "k" sound it sounds more like a Greek island... Not good..

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Apparently, as I said in the intro, it can be said either way. I say 'k', I've tried to use the 's' word but it sounds wrong in my head. I never correct other people for using the other saying and I am comfortable with my version but I suspect we 'k's are probably in the minority.