Major Forum Team Work Project!!!

Part of our Scientific Interest area. This section is for contributions to Leaf Cutting Ants taxonomy. This may be photographs, descriptions, identification keys, discussion about species level characteristics etc.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Major Forum Team Work Project!!!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I have found some limited field identification guides to allow researchers to collect workers and somehow identify what species the leaf cutter is from the worker. However I personally believe this is almost impossible unless you have a stereo dissecting microscope or you carry specimens back to a lab. I think in areas where there are many species the chances of making a credible ID of a worker are limited. So the identification keys are based on workers. But I have noticed that there is more physical difference between queens of differrent species. For instance.....

Acromyrmex coronatus

Acromyrmex versicolor

Acromyrmex octospinosis

You can see, based on the queens, that identification of the species becomes easier. This may be of limited use in the field where most sightings are of workers, but when collecting colonies and confirming ID in the lab of a nest of Leaf Cutters, this could be a valuable addition to the Taxonomic arsenal of tools to use. So I have discussed with Ayub, our resident professional photographer and he is willing to participate in a body of work with everyone here to complete the first ever queen based Identification Key available. Making a real contribution to science!!
What we need is pictures of Queens of as many species as we can find. Or, this may prove difficult, dead queens. But help me find pictures of queens of Acromyrmex species so I can develop an Identification Key. If you know of anyone who keeps Acromyrmex, a species we do not have here, then can you ask them for a picture of their queen or even ask the to get in touch. Many thanks for your effort in this. Andrew

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Re: Major Forum Team Work Project!!!

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Queen Acromyrmex subterraneus

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:42 pm

We might as well just used the pictures in the individual Acromyrmex species sections instead as on a whole massive post. Isn't that the whole idea?
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 pm

This project is to examine side by side all of the queens of the Acromyrmex species to see if they are different enough that it would be easy to identify them in the field, without counting hairs etc. I will look at an identification key for workers later but for now I am looking to get all of the queens here in one page.

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Acromyrmex lundii

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Acromyrmex echinator

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Acromyrmex fracticornis

AdamHartScience
Larva

Post by AdamHartScience » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

Sorry - I;'ve been slow on this one. Had a few access issues plus a pile of marking. Which is much easier done with a bottle of wine in hand it turns out
Anyway - this is a great idea! Since we're submitting images though it feels like it might be good to get some images of workers too - you never know we might spot something that's been missed
a few thoughts - it would be good to get some "standard" images if possible - head on, side on, top view? Not always easy but good to aim for.
Also - any other ID notes useful too. For instance - Atta sexdens smells of lemon when you crush the head. Cepahlotes dumps outside. Unlikely to be many but nice to harvest if we can
finally - not an issue for us Atta fans but any males would be good to document too

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

Hello Adam, I have some A. octospinosus (but ID'd to echinatior ssp, I think, last year, before I realised echinatior was now a sp.) photos ready to post. I also have some males at work, which I will sort photos out for when I go back. Be back later.....

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:33 pm

If you check the Acromyrmex and Atta species section there is a separate subforum for each and every species. I am populating each one with images of the workers. There is a great deal of work to be done but slowly I am getting there. Adam, the head, side and top shots of virtually every species of worker are available and I have them all now I think. Will soon upload them to their correct sections here. Queens, because no ID has been based on them yet, are not available. I have spoken to Ayub and he is keen to participate in this. So my plan is to send him specimens of queens of as many species as I can get and have photographs taken in detail of each queen. A big ask but I think a worthwhile project. I believe that naked eye ID will be possible from a well written key based on queens and their obvious differences. Not much use for catching and naming a random worker caught away from the nest but very good for on the spot ID in an area of many species such as Brazil where the nest is being excavated.