Comparison of 3 Atta soldier Heads

Part of our Scientific Interest area. This section is for contributions to Leaf Cutting Ants taxonomy. This may be photographs, descriptions, identification keys, discussion about species level characteristics etc.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Comparison of 3 Atta soldier Heads

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat May 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Taken from http://www.keyapa.com/leafcutters/index.htm

Atta mexicana, Atta colonbica and Atta cephalotes

Jackie62
Minim

Re: Comparison of 3 Atta soldier Heads

Post by Jackie62 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 pm

There's the bugger that got me last Thursday while cleaning out the dump tank! My god, it was so painful!! I had to run her under the tap for ages before she would let go of me....she survived and I had a hole in my finger....my fault absolutely :)

Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Let me see if I got that right!
A soldier was biting you and you had the presence of mind to go to a sink and run the water over it until it let go?
No, thats definitely not what I do. I make sure all of the ants in the nest are watching and then I make a public example of the ant and execute it. Thats after jumping up and down for a few minutes. The tap running will not serve the purpose at all. They really hurt!

Jackie62
Minim

Post by Jackie62 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 am

Acromyrmexbob wrote:Let me see if I got that right!
A soldier was biting you and you had the presence of mind to go to a sink and run the water over it until it let go?
No, thats definitely not what I do. I make sure all of the ants in the nest are watching and then I make a public example of the ant and execute it. Thats after jumping up and down for a few minutes. The tap running will not serve the purpose at all. They really hurt!
It was bloody painful!!!! But I can't kill anything Andrew...I even carried on putting forage in while she chomped away at the softest part of my finger...I got to the point of light headedness though and thought that I must do something about this....running her under the tap for a few minutes made her let go...she was fine, she trundled off and I had a hole in my finger and blood to clear up...it was a very valuable experience, DO NOT stick your hand blindly into the dump tank... :? :)

Andyj
Site Admin

Post by Andyj » Thu May 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Lol at you two

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk