Fungus Transfer

Part of our Scientific Interest area. This section is for contributions to Leaf Cutting Ants taxonomy. This may be photographs, descriptions, identification keys, discussion about species level characteristics etc.
Formica123
Sub-Major

Fungus Transfer

Post by Formica123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 am

Im on the verge of a little bit of a breakthrough - i think so anyway lol.

When my Acros fungus was very little, Leafcutter (Raj) sent me a lot of Atta Cephalotes fungs from his colony (thanks!) and i added a small amount at first to see how they reacted. The chunk i added was instantly accepted and taken back to their own 'fungus gardens' and so i added a little more (making sure no minims or any atta workers were on the gardens).

I left them for 1 hour - whilst i went to my tutor - and when i came home i was astonished
The ants had created 2 small piles of fungus 2 gardens out of the atta fungus! The minims are looking after this and you can see them tend to this as if it were their own!
But, i carried on inspecting this, and to my amazement THE QUEEN has been moved onto this fungus, showing full acceptance!
I will update on the growth Monday.

If they reject the fungus, i fear this colony may not last long, however they show no sings of doing so! There is about a walnut and a half - 2 walnuts of fungus.

UPDATE ON MONDAY
I keep over 20 species of ant, inc. Acromyrmex Octospinosus
Owner of AntKeepingShop (www.antkeepingshop.weebly.com)

Formica123
Sub-Major

Re: Fungus Transfer

Post by Formica123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 am

This morning I have checked on the ants.

They have 100% accepted this fungus as their own.

I believe this may be because of a lack of their own - and they knew they would eventually die without some, so they accepted the foreigner and have plastered it with their own pheromones.
Perhaps somebody in the future could try this with a colony that already has a fungus garden?
This would prove my theory wrong/right.

Either way-I'm chuffed!

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:23 am

Leafcutter said:
AS you all know, the fungus and the ants have a symbiotic relationship and the way they communicate is through pheromones (scents). Different pheromones are excreted by the fungus I believe, according to its needs. Ie. Toxic leaves = "stop cutting this leaf" signal to the ants.

I left the fungus I sent you Formica for a while without giving them leaves so maybe the fungus was signalling "I need more leaves" so the Acromyrmex adopted this pheromone and acted upon it. Just a theory.

Formica123
Sub-Major

Post by Formica123 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:29 am

Andrew said:
Not sure about this. I do not think the ants and the fungus communicate. Certainly I don't think they communicate via pheromones. Can the fungus produce pheromones? I don't think so. I think the controlling factor regarding what and when to feed the fungus comes entirely from the ants, the fungus is a passive partner. If the ants want food they feed the fungus. In so far as the fungus is fed when it needs food, I think the signal for this is the productivity of the fungus. In order for the fungus to continue producing fruiting bodies it must be fed. Also I think the leaves being bitter or not is a preference for the ants that have to chew it. The fungus is simply breaking down cellulose regardless of taste. The ants will screen the leaves for alkaloids etc which may damage the fungus and they will not use them.