Photography Forum Project

Part of our Scientific Interest area. This section is for contributions to Leaf Cutting Ants taxonomy. This may be photographs, descriptions, identification keys, discussion about species level characteristics etc.
Acromyrmexbob
Site Admin

Photography Forum Project

Post by Acromyrmexbob » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Maybe best suited for Ayub.
We have sections on this forum for each of the individual species. Can I suggest that Ayub be nominated for a task which might interest him and would help others. What we need is for each species of Atta and Acromyrmex to be photographed in the kind of detail that Ayub uses. A head shot from above, below, side etc. Then these pictures can be posted in each species category and used as a fantastic identification guide. In fact, once we have all of the species photographed I can produce a definitive Key which, I think, so far has not been done as far as I can tell. With the clarity of the pictures Ayub gets, this could be ground breaking, certainly a published paper. I will start to organise for ants of each species to be sent, I will track down as many as possible. If you have time (I guess that will be the key factor) Ayub, then this would be a really meaningful contributionfor us to make. Anyone who has access to, or has themselves, species which we don't have so far (I think we already have Atta cephalotes and Atta colombica) them you could organise getting them sent. Lets see if this is possible first but seems like an interesting thing to do.