Hello from Idaho, again!

Tell us about yourself. Are you starting out, have you kept Leaf Cutters for a while, are you a researcher. Let the members know what your interests are.
Hisserdude
Egg

Hello from Idaho, again!

Post by Hisserdude » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:03 am

Hi guys!
I have been keeping a number of invertebrates for some time, and I am very interested in learning about these cool ants! Unfortunately, I do not plan on keeping any any time soon, and it may even be illegal to keep them here, but I look forward to learning about these creatures and seeing your guys experiences with them! Very Happy

Hisserdude
Egg

Re: Hello from Idaho, again!

Post by Hisserdude » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:10 am

Reply by Acromyrmexbob:
Hello there! It is really good to welcome you to our forum. We are few in number but this forum has only been up for around 36 hours so far. I have looked at the US and the importation restrictions that are in effect. Actually in the early 1990's there were no imports of Leaf Cutting Ants allowed in the UK without a license. But we educated the authorities and now we can import these ants freely. I think the problem may be that, on a case by case basis, applications are considered against a position where these imports are not allowed and so the application is refused. The way to change this is to work on the position through a process rather than trying to get them to allow a specific import. I think this forum could be the place to start that process for Leaf Cutters. When we are more established we can plan and implement an approach based on these ants value as a scientific research subject and also due to the fact that Leaf Cutters are already present in the US. The fact they are not everywhere is due to geographic and climatic barriers rather than a policy of exclusion. If you have any fellow enthusiasts, get them to join here and we will open a section of this forum to discuss this very issue with a view to getting change.
Last edited by Hisserdude on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hisserdude
Egg

Post by Hisserdude » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:11 am

Reply by Deansie26:
Hello and welcome
Last edited by Hisserdude on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hisserdude
Egg

Post by Hisserdude » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:11 am

Thanks guys! Very Happy Yeah the US is very strict about importing and exporting live invertebrates, even ones that pose no threat at all (like stag beetles and rhino beetles)! Hopefully that will change one of these days! Smile Also, this is probably a stupid question, but how do I change my avatar?